Asian Hallmark Help Please!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
will-1

Asian Hallmark Help Please!

Post by will-1 »

Hi there,

I really need some help identifying this piece I recently bought. I can't find any information on the makers mark, and whether or not it is sterling or plated. Can this piece be attributed perhaps to Hung Chong?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Will

davidross
contributor

Re: Asian Hallmark Help Please!

Post by davidross »

Hello Will

Welcome to the Forum.

Are these the only marks on the piece? Neither is a silver mark, but that in itself is not conclusive.

Hung Chong is a possibility for the maker, but the mark shown looks almost like HE rather than HC, so I would hesitate to make an attribution. Someone else may know more.

Without photos of the entire item, it is nearly impossible to say anything about authenticity or metal content, but there is ample discussion elsewhere on the forum regarding methods of determining silver content.

Regards
DR
will-1

Post by will-1 »

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply David.

I have attached another photo. I think it might be sterling as there aren't any signs of wear in the usual places, i.e, base of the feet, inset of the jars, handle etc.

[url]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz333/William_Sharpe/William_Sharpe012/101_0995.jpg

[url]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz333/William_Sharpe/William_Sharpe012/101_0996.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Thank you for posting additional photos.

The marks remain a puzzle. The top mark looks like an overstrike of an earlier mark, but not necessarily an Asian mark. While there are certain Chinese characters that in some way resemble this mark (a variant of the character for "blue" for instance) I cannot find any that directly corresponds to it, and it is unlike any I have seen used in Chinese maker's "chop" marks. This should become apparent by looking through other threads, even without the ability to read Chinese.

Seeing photos of the entire piece raises more questions. The flowers (chrysanthemums?) look Chinese or Japanese, but not enough so to rule out other possibilities. The bamboo-like handle looks to be of different style, quality, date, and manufacture from the floral surrounds for the two stoppered bottles. This may be a trick of photography, of course, but it looks like the bamboo portion can be unscrewed from the base. And while I will happily defer to more knowledgeable contributors to this Forum, I cannot think of any condiment or cruet set that would have firmly stoppered wide-mouth bottles (rather than shakers, or pouring or narrow-necked bottles), which leads me to wonder if the bottles and the handle are not modern replacements.

I realize this is not the answer one would hope for, but please bear in mind that it is only one opinion, based on photos, and that a more satisfactory answer may be coming shortly from a different quarter. You can also have the piece (handle and base) tested for silver content, which would at least solve part of the riddle.

My recommendation would be that the Administrator move this post to "Other Countries" and see if it generates a more helpful response there.

Regards,
David R
will-1

Post by will-1 »

Hi there,

The bottles are quite old, as they are hand cut glass and not machine glass, in my opinion. The handle is completely attached to the holders as well, and it doesn't seem to be makeshift - so if it is a marriage of two pieces it has been done professionally.

Tricky!

Return to “Other Countries”