Silver Hallmark Question - Serling?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
redsoxin2004

Silver Hallmark Question - Serling?

Post by redsoxin2004 »

I am new at silver hallmarks and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this mark. It looks like a tower, a hand, and a capital D.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Stylistic I would put the vase in the last quarter of the 19th century. From what I read, the hand was used extensively on nickel-silver plated pieces in the UK ("old Sheffield").
Not sure though.
redsoxin2004

Post by redsoxin2004 »

Doos wrote:Hi,

Stylistic I would put the vase in the last quarter of the 19th century. From what I read, the hand was used extensively on nickel-silver plated pieces in the UK ("old Sheffield").
Not sure though.
Thanks for the help...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
A hand trademark was used in Sheffield, but it was also used as a hallmark in, at least, Germany and Malta. Although I don't recognize the marks, the vase strikes me as a piece of continental silver (Italian?), so I'll leave it in this category in hopes of more info arriving.
Regards, Tom
Rainbow123trout

Post by Rainbow123trout »

I can be no help other than I have the same question for a silver Ewer (see below link in the French section)

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and I also have a Claret Jug with the same marks (except a G instead of a D). I was told they may be French but am not sure and have come to the forum for help. There is little doubt in my mind that your vase is the match to my Ewer and Claret Jug. Lets hope someone out there can help . . .

Return to “Other Countries”