Need help identifying a hallmark.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
crownjl

Need help identifying a hallmark.

Post by crownjl »

I have a teapot and I do not know much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think it is European. The link below will show photos. Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/jwh24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Teapot? Looks like a tankard to me. Away from my references right now and the pictures of the marks are a bit indistinct on this monitor, but would guess German origin.

Cheryl ;o)
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi crownjl,

Yes I agree that it is more of a tankard than a teapot.
From what I see on the images, this is an extra-ordinary renaissance one (16th century), but I don't want to give you too much hope as they were reproduced in the late 19th century.

However this looks real good and I would suggest you take it to the closest large auction room near you (Christies, Sothebys .. those guys) as you might have something special there.

About origin .. could be made anywhere in Northern/Central Europe, hard to read the hallmarks.[/u]
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The design is too sweet & romanticised to be authentically Renaissance, I think, and this is borne out by the marks. The top mark - a cursive "V" (on its side in the photo) - is the import duty mark used in the Netherlands 1906-1953. The other two marks - "13" and "N" - are Hanau pseudo marks in imitation of the old Nuremburg marks. A couple of manufacturers used these specific marks (i.e., "13" & "N"), but by far the likeliest candidate is Ludwig Neresheimer & Co., a large company with a lively export trade. I suspect the import mark is contemporaneous, and that your tankard dates from the first quarter of the 20th century.

Hope this helps!
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Blakstone,

Now you mention it, I can work out the V mark. So I must stand behind your conclusion.
Still this shows extra-ordinary craftsmanship for that period. Not a lot of people were able to do this kind of repousse work as seen in the satir and the fruit (unless it's casted).
Atleast not from the pieces that I have seen.

Thanks for the great addition. Live a day, learn a lesson. Great day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

See this post for a link to an article on this type of silver.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crownjl

Post by crownjl »

Thanks for all the help. It probably is no more than 100 years old. I will have a friend at Bonhams look at it for me as well. Maybe it is older..

Return to “Other Countries”