Help with ID on Candle Holder w/ handle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

Help with ID on Candle Holder w/ handle

Post by rynegold »

A customer has this and wanted to just know where it was made and what to call it. Mods please move this ( and tell me 'to where' please...) if need be.

It tests sterling:

Any help appreciated.
regards, mitch
rynegold

Re: Help with ID on Candle Holder w/ handle

Post by rynegold »

WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good Morning Mitch,

Found only one other item described as late 19th early 20th century soup tureen made by Majadas Toledo. This object I believe has another name that escapes me at the moment, candle holder will do. Spanish Arts and Crafts I believe. Let's see what others have to say.

Warren
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Thank you Warren! I missed entirely that the word stamped there was "Toledo"! I just couldn't make sense of it.

regards, mitch
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

ADMIN: Please Move to European Other Countries Section (Spain).

It's Spanish and I believe it's likely to be extremely rare and choice. I found another example of this hallmark on a bust of Emperor Carlos V held at the Museo de Santa Cruz in Toledo Spain (Search: "Busto retrato del Emperador Carlos V"). One scholar speculates that it is 16th century but states the mark has not been substantiated. I urge you or your customer to contact: M.ª José Cuesta García de Leonardo, Profesora titular del Departamento de Historia del Arte de la Universidad de Castilla la Mancha. (http://www.uclm.org/dep/historiadelarte ... esores.asp)

I will be surprised if this isn't a very valuable piece of Spanish silver. Follow up with us please. It's an interesting piece.

neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Here is a similar example. 17th century Spanish chamberstick made by the maker previously described.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Keep us informed about the research into this amazing silver object.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Definitely more research is needed to draw definite conclusions but I'm really intrigued by the similarity of the marks.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Some of his Works:

Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

First of all I'm not speak English and is translated in google.
Spanish Silversmith a very interesting career. It preserved some great works (I have commanded some) and has been investigated by several scholars, without having gotten out who was this great silversmith.
The photos that gives us "neurorocker" are taken from a study made ​​María José Cuesta in 2005 and while the piece is marked by Sheepfolds, authorship bust is related to the silversmith Leon Leoni and even if not confirmed, there doubts. I have the pdf document but not if I can send, send it if you help me.
Your brand is surrounded by a great mystery, that of B/MAJADAS corresponds to the typical Spanish, but the rest are not any official, these brands are usually more worn and not fail to distinguish clearly, but not so with his personal B/MAJADAS that perfectly read, intended with these brands? confused?
Some scholar has placed him around s. XX so it could be a silversmith who was dedicated sometime in his career to play pieces of a past time. Probably was not his intention and deception were the custom parts, but what is clear is that the Spaniards did not go through official assayers not paying applicable taxes
Throughout my research I have found several brands of clear chances in Spanish cutting works similar to those that accompany Majadas except Toledo TO belonging to other marks are unofficial Spain. The question is clear MAJADAS are works? I send you some.
Greetings to all

Ante todo siento no hablar inglés y está traducido en google.
Platero español de una trayectoria muy interesante. Se conservan de él algunas grandes obras (os he mandado algunas) y ha sido investigado por varios estudiosos, sin que hayan conseguido descubrir quien fue este gran platero.
Las fotos que nos aporta "neurorocker " están sacadas de un estudio que hizo María José Cuesta en el año 2005 y si bien la pieza está marcada por Majadas, la autoría del busto se relaciona con el platero León Leoni y aunque no este confirmado, existen dudas. Tengo el documento en pdf pero no se si puedo mandarlo, si me ayudáis lo envío.
Su marca, está rodeada de un gran misterio, la de B/MAJADAS corresponde a las típicas españolas, pero el resto no son ninguna oficial, estas marcas por lo general están mas gastadas y no se llegan a distinguir con claridad, pero no es así con la personal suya B/MAJADAS que se lee perfectamente, que pretendía con estas marcas? confundirnos?
Algún estudioso le ha situado en torno al s. XX por lo que podría tratarse de un platero que se dedico en algún momento de su carrera a reproducir piezas de un tiempo pasado. Probablemente no fuera su intención la del engaño y fueran piezas de encargo, pero lo que si está claro es que no pasaban por los ensayadores oficiales españoles engañando así a la hacienda española no pagando los impuestos pertinentes
A lo largo de mis investigaciones me he encontrado en varias ocasiones marcas en obras de claro corte español parecidas a las que acompañan a las de Majadas, excepto la TO que pertenece a Toledo el resto no son marcas oficiales de España. La pregunta está clara son obras de MAJADAS? Os mando algunas para que las compareis.
Un saludo a todos
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

(Not Spanish) labels similar to those used by Majadas

WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Senior,

What we appear to have is a late 19th early 20th century Spanish silversmith who like many of his contemporaries in Hanau Germany worked in an antique style. The example of the bust of Carlos V in the Museo de Santa Cruz of Toledo may speak a great deal to the quality of B. Majadas' work. Neurorocker has also offered a link for

Dra. Ma Jose Cuesta Garcia de Leonardo of the Facultad de Letras de Ciudad Real
MariaJosefa.Cuesta@uclm.es

Please check the link above to ensure it was typed in properly. Would you do the honors by asking the Professor if he would feel comfortable himself to comment here at 925 on this silversmith.

With respect!
Warren

Return to “Other Countries”