late 19th century Austro-Hungarian demitasse set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joyechizek

late 19th century Austro-Hungarian demitasse set

Post by joyechizek »

This tea, coffee, chocolate (?) set came to me from my grandmother who was born in Nagyborzsony, Hungary in 1880. Her maiden name was Goldschnikl, dating back to the mining roots of this small town. She and my aunt went back on the Queen Mary in 1947 to bring this entire 32 piece set back to the US. It appears to be hand hammered but every piece in marked with Diana pentagon mark with hound on the smaller crest. Each piece also has a clear BF in a oval punch. Marks can be found on each side of the handles, tons and spoons. Inside the pot is a strong gold wash that exists to varying degrees in each cup/saucer as well as the sugar bowl The tray is wood with a silver crest in the middle and matching marked silver twig handles attached with tiny screws. It appears to be Secession or early Art Nouveau styling with lily and twig motif. It is extremely tarnished, almost black. Has anyone seen anything like this? Does anyone know the meaning of the initials and crown on the crest? Does anyone know anything about the BF in punched oval maker? Family legend is that this was a wedding gift made in Budapest around 1870. Thank you.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: late 19th century Austro-Hungarian demitasse set

Post by dognose »

Hi joyechizek,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post images of all of the marks.

Trev.
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Welcome to the forum!
Nice pieces!
Probably the initials is the monogram of the original owner, the crown with 5 button means, that he was a noble. (7 means baron, 9 means count, 11 means serenity)
Unfortunatly the makers of the Hungarian part of the Monarchy is unprocessed. So until someone doesn't write book about this, probably we can't identify the maker!
However if you see the hallmark, in the right side you will find a character, that determine the place of the relevant assay office. For example A was Wien, A1 was Wiener Neustadt, A2 was Sankt Pölten etc. So it was just sold in Pest, and made in Wien, maybe we can find BF.
If the set made between 1867-1872, the assay office mark punched separate.
I hope, this helped.
Best regards!
Krisztián
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

Here is a clear photo of the crest, still working on taking clear photos of other item marks. Thank you, Joye
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

In doing a board search for maker's marks with BF in an oval, several auctions popped up with this same description on items. In looking at the other items, they don't seem as primitive as these pieces...but the auctions posted BF as an Austrian maker working in Vienna during the 1867-1880 time period. Is there any way to find out more about this maker?
Thank you, joye
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Hello Joye!
As I mentioned before, You can identify the place, where the maker worked, which assay office punched the hallmark! Check the hallmark, and write to us, what character you found!
Or share sharp, big pictures about the hallmark, and we will identify the assay office.
By the way similar maker's mark used by Frank Brüder in Wien.
Best regards!
Krisztián
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

Thank you, Krisztián! I need to find another way to photograph these. I cannot see any letters on the assay marks...but will keep trying. Joye
joyechizek

Marks for the Austro-Hungarian Demitasse Set

Post by joyechizek »

I was asked for better photos of the marks on my grandmother’s demitasse set, so I found the instructions for my camera and got closer shots of the marks. I don't have a tripod. The crest on the tray has a dogs head mark in an elongated pentagon. The pot, sugar and tongs have Diana's head in a pentagon with an A. The 6 cup holder/saucers have a Diana's head in a clover shape also with an A. All have an oval punch with BF. I hope this helps. Thank you, Joye
huszas76
contributor

Re: Marks for the Austro-Hungarian Demitasse Set

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
Now it's obvious, your set made in Wien between 1872-1922.
The maker probably truly Frank Brüder in Wien.
The fineness is 750‰ and 800‰.
Best regards!
Krisztián
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Is BF not for Brüder Frank — the brothers Eduard, Anton and Rudolf Frank who founded their Vienna Gold and Silver Workshop in 1887? That is, Frank is the surname here, not a first name, or so I gather from the Frank family website, Frankfamilie.com.
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

I don't read German so I can't decipher the Family Frank website. Bruder Frank has many auction pieces that resemble this. The BF oval punch is often attributed to him and/or Frank Brothers. From 1887-1920's you can find many with the BF mark. It seems like not one person but a workshop. Apparently he did some lovely empaling of gold and silver pieces.
Thank you, Joye
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

Does Bruder translate to Brothers? Joye
joyechizek

Post by joyechizek »

Got it!
Brüder translates from German to English as brothers, brethren, kin, relatives, male siblings. Joye
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

ADMIN: PLEASE REVIEW. This may have some racy images and I don't mean fine silver.

Cheers,
Nate
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Nate, all clear. Thanks.

Best,

Peter.

Return to “Other Countries”