Dissimilar Spoons w/Similar Crests

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

Dissimilar Spoons w/Similar Crests

Post by SilverSurfer »

I recently acquired the two spoons below, different makers, apparently late eighteenth to early nineteenth century manufacture, either American or possibly German or other Continental make by style, though there are no such Euro marks I can identify. Both have a similar, strange crest of something akin to a bird weathervane topped by a cross atop a narrow tower braced by guy wires. Here's the earlier spoon, Celtic Point Hanoverian Pattern (21.3 cm long, ~1.1 tr. oz.):

Here's the maker's mark (IZ, IL, or IE? - no other marks):

Here is the crest, somewhat crudely done:

The later spoon is Old English Pattern, 21.0 cm long, ~1.2 tr. oz., with the crest and maker's mark on the opposite sides of the stem as the Hanoverian spoon.

The maker's mark is "STRUCK", plus another mark I don't recognize:

The drop is an interesting affair with four different faces or facets, with some extra engraved lines to set off three of them:

The earlier spoon's drop is similar with the four facets, but not as pronounced and without the extra engraved lines. Here is the crest on the newer spoon, again somewhat crudely done:

The crest on the earlier spoon is prick engraved inside the crest with script "GP" and "1804". The later spoon is similarly prick engraved "1812".

Might anyone recognize either the makers, nation of origin, or the significance of the crests? Thanks!

SS
budtz57

Post by budtz57 »

Hi

The bird and the lines are not done by a silver smith but by an amateur. Can you dechiffer the dots underneath. This was done on spoons given to people on weddings or engagments in south of Denmark before 1900.

regards Lone

Return to “Other Countries”