Juke
contributor

Origin of a tankard?

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I have a tankard with a mark of L & C which origin and maker I have
not been able to find. The tankard has inscription of 'Stickstoff
Syndikat GmbH 7.10.38'.

http://sv1.letmehost.com/img.php?file=s ... ks_000.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sv1.letmehost.com/img.php?file=s ... ankard.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for any information in advance.

Regards,
Juhana
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Very interesting piece. I think the inscription was added later, because the tankard itself looks mid-19th century to me. The device (or letter?) after the L&C is probably of some significance. I don't recognize the mark (are there any others?) but it could be German or Swiss.

What I find most interesting, however, is the inscription. The Stickstoff Syndikat (Nitrogen Syndicate) was formed in 1919 by the unification of several nitrogen producers. Germany was a leading force behind new production methods for nitrogen, advancing the technology of fertilizers . . . and explosives. During WWII, the Stickstoff Syndikat was part of the large German chemical conglomerate IG Farben, which later became the defendant at the 6th Nuremburg trial. The director of the Stickstoff Syndikat, Heinrich Oster, was convicted of war crimes and crimes against humanity and sentenced to 2 years.

The inscription and 1938 date suggests a possible connection to German industrial militarism on the eve of WWII. Your tankard may have a very interesting story, indeed, and I suggest you take your research beyond this forum to museums and libraries to see if you can find out more.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Thanks for the interesting information. I could check in the military museum if they would have interest and more knowlegde of the history where it could come from and the object itself. Maybe a gift to a person or to an other company for cooperation?

There are no other marks on the tankard than the L & C ?.
Juke
contributor

Commercial Committee

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I have found out that there was the company's 15th Meeting of the Commercial Committee on the 7th October 1938 so as it is the same date there might be a connection. Possibly it has been a gift to a person or an other company during the meeting. However I have not been able to find the minutes of the meeting so it remains open to whom it was given. The minutes of the meeting might be found in some German archive but as I live in Finland it gets too difficult to go there only for this reason.

Rgds,
Juhana

Return to “Other Countries”