French/Dutch 18th/19th C ? Needle Case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
byronbay55

French/Dutch 18th/19th C ? Needle Case

Post by byronbay55 »

These are the only two marks that I can find.

Best,
Thomas
oel
co-admin

Re: French/Dutch 18th/19th C ? Needle Case

Post by oel »

Hi Thomas,

Dear me, you had me going but my final verdict; made in Holland. And yes city of Schoonhoven, again! Although deformed and not complete the town mark for Schoonhoven used around the end of the 18th century, 1779-1785. Unfortunately no year letter to confirm which is not unusual for light weight silver, especially during time of turmoil, like the French occupation of the Netherlands. The Schoonhoven silversmiths never took assay obligations too serious.
The maker's mark looks like a hand for (contributed to); Gijsbert Lameer born in 1755 and registered as silversmith from 1779-1811 (died). I have forwarded your images to the conservator of the Zilvermuseum Schoonhoven for a final verdict, will keep you informed.

Best,

Peter
byronbay55

Post by byronbay55 »

Amazing, Peter! Thank you.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Thomas,

We carefully examined the extra images you sent by pm and I have to correct myself. The hand is not the hand of the Schoonhoven silversmith Gijsbert Lameer. The hand of Lameer has the tumb at the right and the vingers are pointing a little to the right. Last but not least the hand is in contour. See below;
The town mark of Schoonhoven is based upon four lions rampant going left and although the punches of Schoonhoven are notorious worn and often not clear, we believe this mark not to be the deformed or worn town mark for Schoonhoven. It could be a combined mark of town and dateletter in a pointed shield.
We are looking at some other possibilities and keep you informed. I apologies for any inconvenience.

Best,

Peter
byronbay55

Post by byronbay55 »

Hi Peter!

Interesting. Thx for all the help!

Best,
Thomas

Return to “Other Countries”