Unidentified server- "D" with snake above

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
KathyS

Unidentified server- "D" with snake above

Post by KathyS »

This server was given to me as a wedding present by friends in Belgium. The marks are legible, but I have not been able to identify them. Any help would be most appreciated! Four pictures follow: two of the marks and two of the overall object. This is my first time posting pictures so I apologize for any problems in advance.

Image Image Image Image
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The "D & snake" mark is that of the very famous Delheid Frères of Brussels, Belgium. I'll have to check on the other.
KathyS

Post by KathyS »

Thank you very much for the reply! I will look for some more information on Delheid Freres. Anything else you might find on the diamond cartouche with the "A 800 mark" will be appreciated!
KathyS

Post by KathyS »

Does anyone have any idea what this implement would be used for? It is mostly flat, but is slightly curved or bowled in the "spoon" part on one side.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is an icecream-server. The snake-mark of Delheid was registered on January 23rd, 1862 and used unchanged at least until the late 1970ies. The second mark is to fuzzy on my screen to see much, but it looks French. Maybe You could post a better pic ? Best wishes, Bahner
KathyS

Post by KathyS »

Thanks for the information. I believe I've identified the second mark--it is an "A" and "800" in a diamond-shaped cartouche. I found this marking on a page about Belgian silver as a purity mark used in the late 1800s up until around the 1940s. I have read that the "A" is for "alloy." Thank you for your reply.

Return to “Other Countries”