Ladle Type? Marks? Monogram?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Ladle Type? Marks? Monogram?

Post by Traintime »

A dipper? 750 Silver grade? If so, then >(Retailer/Maker/Grade or Maker/Assayer/Grade)? AWL bottom mark monogram--commercial establishment? [All I can tell so far is the shielded mark looks like a "flux capacitor" diagram]!?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Ladle Type? Marks? Monogram?

Post by dognose »

Hi Traintime,

If you pump the word 'Jezler' into the search facility you will find other examples from this Swiss maker.

How large is the ladle?

Trev.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
As Trev points out, it is from Jezler, city of Schaffhausen in Swizerland. They are still in business, check their website:
http://www.jezler.ch
They produced in .750 finess until about 1880, afterwards they used .800 alloy. Your marking is typical for a period around 1870, maybe between 1860 and 1870.
"Boxler" is the retailer, Alois Boxler, (1807 - 1876), from Lichtensteig. Lichtensteig was and is a small village, however due to religious tolerance and regular markets, it was rather wealthy and could afford many silversmith (and retailers) in their walls.
AWL is the monogram of the maker, nothing to say here, it was common to put your Initials on your silver. The item Looks like a soup ladle. If it weights 150 - 200 grams and measure around 30 cm in lenght it is a soup ladle.
We should see a Picture from the top side to see the pattern, but I assume a Standard fiddle pattern.
Regards, Jörg
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Thanx all. About 11 3/8 inches (approx. 29 cm.) tip-to-tip. And here I'd thought you would have a good laugh and tell me the mark was a Nato symbol for recycled depleted uranium. I originally got as far as something similar to pre-1886 Germany standards and was duped at that point. Guess I couldn't have been closer to the Swiss border if I'd been back skiing in Garmisch. If I told you what I payed, I'd probably be banned from the site for taking booty like a pirate.
stecci
contributor

Post by stecci »

The seller is not Alois Boxler of Lichtensteig.
It is his son, Carl Julius Eugen Boxler (born in 1845). He sold his father's 1879 business and went to Chur. The spoon is approx dated early 1900's.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A belated "Thank You" for the up-date!!

Return to “Other Countries”