SIMILAR CUP TO THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ONE. DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT TIME OF MANUFACTURE?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
patmerry

SIMILAR CUP TO THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ONE. DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT TIME OF MANUFACTURE?

Post by patmerry »

Hi

I have another cup I cannot identify. The cup was found in the same box of sundries as the one made in Budapest. Although this is made in a different country and possible a different time? I have a feeling for Israel but I am not sure at all. It is probably safe to assume the upside down 833 is the hallmark/fineness mark. Unfortunately the other marks I cannot find. Any advice you guys can offer would be again greatly appreciated.

All the best
patmerry

Re: SIMILAR CUP TO THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ONE. DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT TIME OF MANUFACTURE?

Post by patmerry »

Actually just looked agin, I don't think the upside down hallmark is 833, I think it is 883.
AG2012
contributor

Re: SIMILAR CUP TO THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ONE. DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT TIME OF MANUFACTURE?

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, it was upside down and Hebrew lettering, too. The same Kiddush beaker from elsewhere,made by L.G. and marked ``833`` ``SILVER``, Israel, 1960’s. Most probably the same maker with the same initials in Hebrew Lamed Gimel (from right to left).Cannot be the coincidence, too much in common; shape, décor, engraving technique, 833, maker L.G.
Regards
patmerry

Post by patmerry »

wow! spot on. exactly the same, definitely not a coincidence. Thank you very much. Have u any idea what
c o b or the small 17 refers too?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Those are Hebrew letters,too (what looks like cob).And 17 is also within a Hebrew letter.Very stylized, though.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The '17' may refer to some official registration of silversmiths, but we've yet to acquire any information about this possibility.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks2.html

and also: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ne#p111368

Trev.
patmerry

Post by patmerry »

Thanks Trev, thank you AG. really help info. Very nice set from Palestine Trev. I really like the simplistic design. It has a certain edge to it. I need to think about buying some literature reference. This is deffinitely the most helpful online resource available in my language though. Thanks again guys.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Search ref.: Mem. number "17".

Return to “Other Countries”