Help with marks on a large try

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help with marks on a large try

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All - I think this may be Dutch, but it could be continental - it's a large and rather heavy tea tray measuring about 40cm by 30 weighing about 1.2kg. It has a a simple gadrooned border and to me looks late C18 or turn of C19. There are only two marks on the front of the tray right near the gallery. A crowned B (or could it be H or R) and the letters DEN the rest of the mark smudged beyond recognition. The second half of the DEN mark may be in a different punch. Den Haag? Denmark?
There are any number of blotches and indentations on the back which could be marks, but could also be old planishing marks or wear to the metal. Nothing that photographs properly. One could be a lion rampant or lion passant but could also be a figment of my imagination. Sorry
A friend suggested the crowned B may be for Bergen, but I note they changed the town mark in 1740, and i don't think this tray is as early as that. Besides it would seem more likely that any early continental silver found in South Africa would be of Dutch rather than Norwegian origin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Frank

oel
co-admin

Re: Help with marks on a large try

Post by oel »

Hi Frank, If crowned letter B in outline it could be silver hallmark for Beja a city and a municipality in the Alentejo region, Portugal used late 18th-early 19th century.
Without any other marks I can not support it to be Dutch in origin. I will move you to the Other Countries forum for a better exposure.

Best,

Peter
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Unless the mark read DIEMONT written in capital letters with serif. The maker's and well known retailers mark of Willem Diemont (1767-1842). He started out as a registered Amsterdam silversmith in 1790 but soon became shop-holder only. Diemont sold a lot of other Amsterdam silversmiths work carrying their maker's marks together with his retailers mark but he also imported silver from the UK and perhaps other countries. Diemont, active till 1821. In 1822 his son Jan Diemont (1793-1840) took over the shop under the name W. Diemont en Zoon.

Peter.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Peter - many thanks. I will research Portugal.
I am fairly sure the letters are DEN but thanks for the insight on Mr Diemont.
I had thought the crowned B might be a dutch date letter - but probably a city mark

Regards Frank
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
In Rosenberg #8027 ``B mit Krone`` (crowned B) stands for Braga used 1800- 1887.
(Reference: Costa, Arte famosa). Beja is a bit different in Rosenberg (crowned B in a rectangle) but there is Beja crowned B without rectangle elsewhere.
Anyway, as suggested by oel, it looks like Portugal. I am always cautious about 18th century silver unless fully confirmed in spite of wishful thinking. The mark for Beja in Rosenberg is questionable in regard of 18th century. Either Beja or Braga the tray was most likely made in the first half of 19th century (unless proven otherwise).
Regards

Return to “Other Countries”