Enameled Russian Silver Box from 1880

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Joschua

Enameled Russian Silver Box from 1880

Post by Joschua »

Since I dont have any ideas about the meaning of cyrillic letters, I wonder if someone is out there who can identify this maker...
The piece also has a German sounding jewelers stamp: "Adler" and the enameling dates it to 1883 on the backside...It is about the size of a deck of cards, too big for cigarettes...Maybe a Lady will recognize it's original purpose...Any clue about the town stamp would also be great, it looks like a person riding on a horse to me, but the mark is hard to see and I might be wrong.

Best regards from Germany

Joschua

Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is the mark on an unidentified silversmith, working in Moskau between ca. 1872 and 1881. The horseman is - if I am not mistaken - St. George. Adler might be the retailer of this piece. Best wishes, Bahner
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Russian marks aren't really my area, looks like the Moscow St. George town mark, and believe the Cyrillic letters with the date would be for the assayer rather than the maker.

I collect lily of the valley pieces and find this one absolutely gorgeous. Without seeing the inside, it's a guess, but it looks like a ladies soap box to me. They usually have a recessed rim on the bottom so that the lid fits fairly tight and often have a gilt interior.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Cheryl is right, that is an assayer's mark, initials IK in Roman. Postnikova-Loseva lists him as unidentified. I would think there should be a maker's mark somewhere on the piece.

Regards, Tom
Joschua

Post by Joschua »

Thanks you very much, I will photograph all other marks on this piece today and post them later...Maybe there is something that can give additional clues...

Joschua
Joschua

Post by Joschua »

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. However the only other marks I could find are a repetition of the already pictured "ADLER" mark and a mark "88..." for the silver standard. It seems as if there is nothing that would give any evidence regarding the maker.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maria Adler was a fairly important maker of enameled silver working in Moscow from ca.1880

Regards, Tom

Return to “Other Countries”