Please Help Identify Marks on this Unusual Small Silver Ball

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tikker

Please Help Identify Marks on this Unusual Small Silver Ball

Post by Tikker »

I recently purchased this strange item with some older foreign coins. It appears to be a small silver ball, pinched on the back, with 2 hallmarks. One mark is a pair of scales. The other mark is not very clear, I can't make out what it is, I hope the photo shows enough detal. The ball weighs 3.9 grams. I have no idea what it is, or where it originates. I don't know if this is jewelry or a small ingot. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n256 ... ermark.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gemsdiver

Post by gemsdiver »

Hi
I´m no expert, but I think it may be a counterweight, to determine the correct weight of the coins in the old days, when coins were made of silver and gold.
Hope it helps

Andy
Tikker

Post by Tikker »

That's a good guess, I had wondered if it might be a weight also. But I have since learned that it is, in fact, bullet money from Thailand dating to the 1800's, also known as Pod Duang. They were folded pieces of gold and silver of varying sizes, which were stamped with a variety of designs. Some were common issue and some were commemorative issue. Mystery solved!

Return to “Other Countries”