Possible 19th Century Belgian fork with A2 mark & H maker’s mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Possible 19th Century Belgian fork with A2 mark & H maker’s mark

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I think I may have that picture that everybody wants to see and it is shown later.
I just bought a fork from the inter net because I believed it was not as advertised but could be early. The on line photos did not tell me where the fork came from but its figural and lettered maker’s mark put the Netherlands on my short list. I looked forward to the chance of a bit of research though.
I noted that the fork’s monogram was on the back of the finial and in the case of UK spoons this often indicates an early 19th century or earlier example. My photos are below.

Now research started and the fork did not appear to be from the Netherlands. Checking on line for an A2 silver guarantee mark brought me to a reference to a gothic style “A” Belgian 900 parts silver mark and the related gothic “A2” 800 silver mark. I then reviewed 925-1000 world silver marks section again and did find a written reference to these gothic A’s in the Belgium section, without images, but indicating their use between 1868 and 1942. The A relates to Argent (silver).
Although I now think my fork is from Belgium and likely to be from the last third of the 19th century I now need to find the maker. The “H” mark does remind me of Dutch maker’s marks and is not like the French style lozenge marks so maybe the maker was from Northern Belgium but can the forum expand the on the date and maker of the fork for me.
Thanks
Fishless
Dendriet
contributor

Re: Possible 19th Century Belgian fork with A2 mark & H maker’s mark

Post by Dendriet »

Hi,

Look here:
http://www.ascasonline.org/newsMARZO82.html

Scroll down to:

Replies to questions
Pierre Bertrand receives this answer about his silver flatware

See:
The first item on the left, silversmith letter H for HUBEN HENDRIK is a silversmith who was active in Mechelen from 1847 until 1868.

Regards
Dendriet
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello thank you Dendriet for your speedy reply. I see you have helped Dognose with the same maker in 2015. I have referenced that post below.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ium#p28178

Am I now correct in understanding Huben is the family name of the silversmith and Hendrik is the Christian name? I note Dognose’s ladle is earlier as it carries an older guarantee mark. The gothic style A’s were said to come into use in 1868 which apparently was the last year of silversmithing for Mr Huben. Coincidently the marks for Huben illustrated in the Ascas article would also have to be for 1868 unless some quoted “dates” were imprecise.
Thank you for the reference. There is now a lot more information on the ticket attached to the only Belgium item I have my little silver collection.
Yours
Fishless
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Hi Fishless,

Books are often incomplete, and information is not always correct in some cases

Hendrik Huben must have produced more in years, as the Gothic letter A was used from 1869 - 1942, and Janus-head of 1832-1869 and that contradicts the statement in Ascas

Regards
Dendriet

Return to “Other Countries”