Hi trying to find some information about these baskets

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mpwillow

Hi trying to find some information about these baskets

Post by mpwillow »

Hi,

I think they were made in Holland but I am not sure, could be from Germany. I can understand the London import marks, although which country/province/town/city they were exported from, and who made them is a mystery to me. The marks on the base are pretty obvious but I cant find a match. Someone with more experience might be able to recognise them.

Thank you in advance

Maureen
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Hi trying to find some information about these baskets

Post by dognose »

Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post an image of the import marks, they may reveal much.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

The import mark could be J.S for; John George Smith with date letter C for London 1897. John George Smith was a known importer of German silver made in the city of Hanau. The lack of Dutch marks like the "export key" and the shape of the maker's mark and the presence of the bunch of grapes make me believe the baskets are made in Germany.
For more info about Hanau silver see;
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
Dutch (hall) marks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Best,

Peter
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The importer is John George Smith.
This business of shipping and forwarding agents was founded in 1849 in London and Dover when John Friend (trading as Friend & Co) went into partnership with John Piddington. In 1865 John George Smith sr. (son-in-law of Piddington) became proprietor and was succeeded in 1890 by John George Smith jr. The firm is noted to have imported a great deal of silver until 1939 (from 1918 was active under the style Continental Daily Parcels Express Ltd and from 1921 as Continental Express Ltd).
Regards
mpwillow

Post by mpwillow »

Hello

Thank you for looking at the pictures although as I said I understand the London import marks. Its the marks on the base I don't understand, although the 930 is the fineness. I assume the NB with star below is the mark of the maker/silversmith, although as I said I don't know and havn't been able to find anything to help. Maybe the bunch of grapes represent the town or city the baskets were made in but again, this is only an assumption.

Thanks again

Maureen

Return to “Other Countries”