Spanish Silver Box Questions

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JP88

Spanish Silver Box Questions

Post by JP88 »

Hello All,

This is my first posting; glad to see there is a forum specifically dedicated to antique silver.

Last week I was given the small round box you see in the accompanying pictures. From what I know through doing some research, this item has at least two different silversmith hallmarks on it. The boldface letters "SATOSTEGUI" were from Pedro Satostegui's workshop, originally founded in San Sebastian. The Amphora (vase) belongs to Dionisio Garcia Gomez. The star hallmark indicates Spanish purity (.915, post 1934). That's about all I know.

As you can see, there's also a "2 4" mark, but I have not been able to find out what that means. I am also interested in figuring out when this particular item was made, and perhaps what its original purpose was for as well?

I truly appreciate the help, and if there's any other details I should include please let me know.

Thanks!

JP

AG2012
contributor

Re: Spanish Silver Box Questions

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Satostegui (San Sebastian), still in business at Urbieta 60, was founded in 1925. They repaired and retailed silver so I think the maker is Dionisio Garcia Gomez, or more precisely his sons. (One of their marks was amphora in the oval).
The numbers are of no importance (inventory, internal factory numbers).
It`s a pillbox.
This is all I can tell.
Regards
Funkel
contributor

Re: Spanish Silver Box Questions

Post by Funkel »

Efectivamente AG2012 lo ha explicado muy bien

Dionisio García falleció en 1925 a los 37 años de edad, dejando a su viuda Doña Carmen Marqués y sus hijos: Dionisio, Luis, Rafael y Fernando un floreciente negocio, quienes encargaron la dirección de la empresa al hasta entonces jefe de personal y amigo de Dionisio, D. Antonio Sánchez Fernández. La empresa ademas de fabricantes también tuvieron varias tiendas

En España, en los años centrales del siglo XX hubo una mala practica de marcar la plata por el comerciante y esto lleva a mucha confusión, este es el caso de Satostegui. No haga caso de esa marca.

Os dejo alguna foto

Actually AG2012 has explained it very well

Dionisio García died in 1925 at the age of 37, leaving his widow Doña Carmen Marqués and his sons: Dionisio, Luis, Rafael and Fernando a flourishing business, who commissioned the management of the company until then chief of staff and friend of Dionisio, D. Antonio Sánchez Fernández. The company in addition to manufacturers also had several stores

In Spain, in the middle years of the twentieth century there was a bad practice of marking silver by the merchant and this leads to much confusion, this is the case of Satostegui. Ignore that mark.

I leave you some photo

Return to “Other Countries”