Belgian Spoon 17,9 cm

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Belgian Spoon 17,9 cm

Post by silverfan »

I found this spoon together with equal looking French Pierre Queillé spoons, which at first confused me, because I couldn't identify the marks. Finally in Tardy I found the lyra-mark on the right as the first Belgian standard mark for silver 950. In another book I read that it was only used in 1830/31. Is this right?
I could not find the two marks on the right. The first mark looks like a woman's head and the mark in the middle is a L with a symbol above. For what do these marks stand?
Regards silverfan

oel
co-admin

Re: Belgian Spoon 17,9 cm

Post by oel »

Hi Silverfan,

Yes Belgian silver spoon, maker's marl L under upside down heart for; Émile Lambelin orfèvre jouaillier/goldsmith jeweler, born in Nimy 14-2-1827, registered in the city of Mons/Bergen, died 28-05-1903
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons
Hallmarks of Belgium, used after the Belgian uprising against the Dutch regime in 1830 and the establishment of an independent Kingdom of Belgium in July 1831. A resolution of 18th August 1831 stipulated the use of the new marks in Belgium. The seals were only at the disposal of the assay offices around 1 March1832. Meanwhile, they kept using the marks from the Dutch era.
The new marks used March 1832-July 1869.
Image mark top; office mark or Minerva head with regional assay office letter E for Mons.
Image mark middle; maker's marl L under upside down heart for; Émile Lambelin
Image mark bottom; The Lyra 1st standard mark silver 934/000 fineness.

Peter.
silverfan
contributor

Re: Belgian Spoon 17,9 cm

Post by silverfan »

Thank you very much, Oel. So Tardy is not right saying silver 950.
Regards silverfan

Return to “Other Countries”