Poland 20th Century (inter wars period) spoon with W.H mark.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Poland 20th Century (inter wars period) spoon with W.H mark.

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I just bought a spoon that had bowl struck marks that I could not positively identify. The marks needed cleaning but I thought I could see one mark with a women’s head and a curvaceous number 3. I hoped it was a silver spoon as a women’s head is always promising in my view. A picture of the spoon and its cleaned marks is shown below.

A review of 925-1000 world silver marks soon showed this is a Polish silver spoon with the figure 3 indicating a 800 parts standard grade of silver. The direction that the head looks plus any associated marks can be dating evidence for Polish silver of the 20th century. Before the end of WW1 Poland was not an independent state and its silver carried Russian type Kokoshnik (lady’s head) marks. After the war from 1920 and up to WW2 a girl’s head and guarantee marks 1, 2 and 3 were used as on my spoon. Also a careful look at my mark under magnification shows that at the back of the women’s head there is a small W. This indicates my spoon was made in Warsaw. The 925-1000 Poland section gives a list of letters for various Polish silver centres.
Researching the likely maker mark, the W.H in the lozenge cartouche, by a look at our forum and other sources on the inter net, the names Wladislaw Hempel and Hempel Brothers were generated, but frustratingly many of pictures with the forum posts have been lost. Hempel Brothers it seems were active at Warsaw during the pre independence period and below is a set of marks from that period.

I understand the thin crescent moon and 3 stars was a Hempel Brothers mark and the above marks show a W.H is in an oval cartouche. Do I look on this W.H as a Hempel Brothers’ mark or Wlad Hempel’s mark? Who were the Brothers Hempel and is Wlad a brother? My spoon’s mark is different. Is this Wlad Hempel’s mark or just a changed mark to underline new Polish independence or even just to usher in the new Art Deco period? The spoon itself is definitely styled from an earlier time. Is the maker in fact somebody else?
I noted 2 references to the activity dates for the Hempel Brothers, one suggesting the period 1894-1939 and a second referenced by a well-respected silver correspondent suggesting 1899-1915 and thus finishing before the start of the new Polish state.
I definitely believe my spoon was Warsaw made and made between the wars but I have less confidence in the name of the maker. I hope there is some confirmed evidence to be forwarded by members of the forum identifying the silversmith.
Below is photo of another set of marks on a napkin ring attributed to Wlad Hempel and 2 other photos of marks seen in association of Kokoshnik marks.

And look, we have .WH. in an oval, yet another version of W with H with a moon and 3 stars. It is over to everybody else now, as I would like to put an identifying label on my new spoon.
Yours
Fishless
P.s I am sorry not all photos are crisp.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Poland 20th Century (inter wars period) spoon with W.H mark.

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
W.H. is the mark of Wladyslaw Hempel.Crescent and 3 stars in an oval is the workshop symbol of Wladyslaw Hempel. Wladyslaw Hempel was a co-owner of Bracia Hempel Хемпель (Brothers Hempel) and he managed production.There was one more mark with full Hempel name.
The factory "Brothers Hempel" was active between 1894-1944. Founders were brothers Stefan and Wladyslaw Hempel, trained silversmiths. The factory made silver, plated and nickel plated products at Leszno Street 100 in Warsaw, and the management and shop in the building of the Grand Theater at pl. Theater. In 1904 there were 70 workers. Wladyslaw managed the production, and Stefan dealt with commercial matters. There was also design and modeling Studio.The Company produced tableware, coffee and tea services as well as sport trophies. They developed new styles "Zakopane Style" and "Slavic style". Tableware was commissioned by Polish Foreign Office for diplomatic missions around the world.
Fabryka Platerów i Sreber "Bracia Hempel"
The factory (building was demolished).
The mark seen after the independence is ``W.H`` in a hexagon.
Regards
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thank you AG2012 for your quick response to my post. I spent a couple weeks trying to get it composed and you answered all my questions in a matter of hours. I am sure your information will be a reference for many more Polish silver researchers.
Thanks
Fishless
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
x image

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
One more address added. Senatorska Street No 8. (Before 1915).
The first controversy: their Kiev workshop ? Reputable auction houses had their silver attributed to Kiev.Warsaw Assayer A.Romanov was replaced in 1904 by Alexander Kazimirovich Vyrzhikovsky, who was transferred from Kiev ( Александр Казимирович Выржиковский). But Greek letter should be different.
Source: Russian forum
One more controversy: did they really continue the production after 1939, i.e. during WW II ?
Regards
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

See also this thread with another mark.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49071
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Some other marks of "Bracia Hempel":

Return to “Other Countries”