Posible Italy? ,but not sure.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dinozaur2001

Posible Italy? ,but not sure.

Post by dinozaur2001 »

I buy that beatiful cigarette case (thanks AG2012) on a flea market in Romania.With the friendly help from AG2012,davidappleton and dognose i understand the almost sure posibility that the royal cipher(monogram) is belong to King Vittorio Emanuele III of Savoy of Italy(king from1900-1946).I search all the pages in the Italian Makers forum(more than 250) and i not found(or i not see) the silver maker marks that is interior.The 800 silver purity hallmark is used il almost all the european country .I search all the available sites on the net and i not found that stylized EC(orCE)in circle.A little help please?The posible time intervale for manufacturing the cigarette case is ?1900-1946?
AG2012
contributor

Re: Posible Italy? ,but not sure.

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
There is very high probability the cigarette case was commissioned by Italian maker.
Trev has suggested where to search for Italian makers. He has collected hundreds and hundreds, including their logos and advertisements.
Italian makers often used only fineness without their registration number.
So, what`s left is to search Trev`s posts, page by page.
Regards
dinozaur2001

Post by dinozaur2001 »

AG2012 wrote:Hello again,
There is very high probability the cigarette case was commissioned by Italian maker.
Trev has suggested where to search for Italian makers. He has collected hundreds and hundreds, including their logos and advertisements.
Italian makers often used only fineness without their registration number.
So, what`s left is to search Trev`s posts, page by page.
Regards
Hello again and thans.I search page by page all that italian makers post and nada,niet,nothing.Is a small posibility that after the 99pages ,to oversee or not to see the mark.Afternoon i will search again .But maybe is a posibility(after a fellow collector) to be a german makers!?!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Another topic worth checking: Italian Silversmith Advertisements

Trev.
dinozaur2001

Post by dinozaur2001 »

dognose wrote:Another topic worth checking: Italian Silversmith Advertisements

Trev.
I search(only 5 pages ) and nop.
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

Hi to everybody!
as first I thank you for this useful site, where I found lot of intersting marks.
Regarding Italian marks I have to say that only since 1934 it was introduced the silversmith identification number (into a lozenge) plus the silver content within, or not, an oval line.
After italian unit, with the 1872 law on silver marks, on one side was introduced the unified mark of "Crowned Italy " (a female head with crown) on the other there was a the freedom to use it or not. Therefore, between 1872 and 1934 the most common marks are the purity of silver (I can say mostly ever 800, rarely 900, think never 925) and the symbol and/or the initilas of the silversmith.
Coming back to marks on the cigarette case, I can say that are typical italian marks. I cannot say what is the manufacturer...
Regarding the real provenance from the Savoy family is hard to say... If it would be so, the silversmith should be with high probability from Pidemont. IE the official silver supplier of Savoy Family was CESA (Alessandria).

Regards
dinozaur2001

Post by dinozaur2001 »

Italiansilver wrote:Hi to everybody!
as first I thank you for this useful site, where I found lot of intersting marks.
Regarding Italian marks I have to say that only since 1934 it was introduced the silversmith identification number (into a lozenge) plus the silver content within, or not, an oval line.
After italian unit, with the 1872 law on silver marks, on one side was introduced the unified mark of "Crowned Italy " (a female head with crown) on the other there was a the freedom to use it or not. Therefore, between 1872 and 1934 the most common marks are the purity of silver (I can say mostly ever 800, rarely 900, think never 925) and the symbol and/or the initilas of the silversmith.
Coming back to marks on the cigarette case, I can say that are typical italian marks. I cannot say what is the manufacturer...
Regarding the real provenance from the Savoy family is hard to say... If it would be so, the silversmith should be with high probability from Pidemont. IE the official silver supplier of Savoy Family was CESA (Alessandria).

Regards
Manny thanks for your answer.

Return to “Other Countries”