Hungary-Pecs-JP

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dolpheus
contributor

Hungary-Pecs-JP

Post by dolpheus »

Hello,

somebody can help me? I suppose, this ladle has a 13-loth mark from Hungarian Pécs (Fünfkirchen).
But i don't know any more.
My sources claims, exactly this hallmark was used 1810-1824, can be? For me, ladle design seems to be
somewhat new, cca 1850? But this can be my personal impression.
Another thing is maker - i read JP - can somebody identify it and possibly help with some additional info about
this maker? It will be very helpfull for me.

Many thanks for your interest and even more for your help.

Martin.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Hungary-Pecs-JP

Post by AG2012 »

Hi Martin,
This mark is from 1853 or a bit earlier (the year is engraved). So, your ladle was made earlier than that. My Tardy is not with me so I cannot compare the marks, i.e. what marks were used later and earlier.
Krisztian will probably recognize the maker.
Regards

huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

HelloT
The maker is Jacobus Posz, and I agree, that is from around 1850. I'm not home now, later see my sources, and maybe can write more about Posz.
Best regards!
Krisztián
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
From Tardy: there are three marks from 19th century. Type A was recorded in 1810 and then type B (rectangular upper part – arrows) first recorded in 1820 and again 1840. My mark is about 1853.
In conclusion, type A was not documented after 1810, but Krisztián probably has more references.
Regards
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Hello again!
I think, Tardy is close to useless in this case.
There is no maker's marks. He copied the city marks from the Kőszeghy: Magyarországi ötvösjegyek a középkortól 1867-ig/Merkzeichen der Goldschmiede Ungarns vom Mittelalter bis 1867. But there is only a few marks (5 from the 19. century), and he copied the mistakes too.
Jacobus Posz born in 1819.VII.5. He married to Elizabeth Kontraszti in 1844. IV.22. He died in 1860. II. 19.
I think, about the items we know about him, he was a very productive maker. There is a lot of different spoons, a water kettle, a biedermeier candle stick, a leg shaped votiv, and an ethrog holder with coconut.
So it's obvious, this mark was used in the middle of the century. (Kőszeghy's book had a typographical mistake, Tardy copied)
Source: Grotte András: Kísérlet néhány magyarországi ötvösjegy feloldására IV.
Hope, this helps
Best regards!
Krisztián

Return to “Other Countries”