Antique Silver Cigarette case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rvertes

Antique Silver Cigarette case

Post by rvertes »

Hello all.
I inherited a Silver cigarette case that belonged to my grandfather who lived in Hungary and I know that the case is pre WWII as he owned it well before he perished in the war. I am looking for information as to the maker and origin of this piece as it is the only connection to a grandfather I never got to know. The marking inside on both halves is 77J and no other marks. The case is 4 7/8" long by 3 1/4" wide and about 3/8" thick. I have attached pictures of the marking, insides and the outside of the cigarette case itself. Any and all information that anyone has about the piece, age and or the maker would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. I am hoping that this is the right place to find out the information as I have searched the internet high and low to no avail.

Regards,
Roger

Marking

Inside

Case outside
AG2012
contributor

Re: Antique Silver Cigarette case

Post by AG2012 »

Hi Roger,
Welcome to the forum.
I have very similar Art Deco Hungarian cigarette case (with the same rather unusual silver band instead of more commonly seen rubber bands to keep cigarettes in place).
Hungary had very well established marking system for silver.Dog`s head was used on cigarette cases:
http://hallmarkwiki.com/?ShowHallmark=11064
What we see here in your image is maker`s reference number of some kind and it`s not enough for the identification.
Lack of proper marks is always suspicious whether it`s silver. Sometimes the only mark could be on push-button. Search for more marks again and inspect more closely the mark on the right. Is it really letter ``J`` ?

Regards

Return to “Other Countries”