What country and maker could it be?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

What country and maker could it be?

Post by Kirils »

I have this beautiful cup. But I have no idea of where and by whom could it be made. The first mark what it seems to be number 12. probably standing for 12 lot? And a makers mark JWB.

Joerg
contributor

Re: What country and maker could it be?

Post by Joerg »

I am not much of a help, but will make a start. I also see the "12" which is the 12 loth (0.750 finness). JWB is the maker mark. My educated guess goes to Germany, somewhere between 1850 and 1888. Citymark is missing, this makes it a nearly hopeless case. Where can we look further? Your cup is heavily polished, and the marks were scratched while cleaning. I note there some lines in the middle of the bowl. Is this decor or is there a text? A text could help. And, is there maybe a makers mark somewhere, just nearly polished out? Would help too. Last, the pictures are very shiny, it is difficult to see all details of the cup. Maybe by the style we may be able to confirm my date estimate and narrow it down.
Can you check all this and also add more pictures from all angles, underneath and inside?
Regards, Jörg
Kirils
contributor

Re: What country and maker could it be?

Post by Kirils »

Joerg wrote:I am not much of a help, but will make a start. I also see the "12" which is the 12 loth (0.750 finness). JWB is the maker mark. My educated guess goes to Germany, somewhere between 1850 and 1888. Citymark is missing, this makes it a nearly hopeless case. Where can we look further? Your cup is heavily polished, and the marks were scratched while cleaning. I note there some lines in the middle of the bowl. Is this decor or is there a text? A text could help. And, is there maybe a makers mark somewhere, just nearly polished out? Would help too. Last, the pictures are very shiny, it is difficult to see all details of the cup. Maybe by the style we may be able to confirm my date estimate and narrow it down.
Can you check all this and also add more pictures from all angles, underneath and inside?
Regards, Jörg
Thank you for your efford Joerg. Unfortunately this bowl came to me this polished. In the middle of the bowl its decor. I have taken a look everywhere but i did not find any more marks. Here are some extra photos that I've taken:

Return to “Other Countries”