Salt cellar from Galicia

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
huszas76
contributor

Salt cellar from Galicia

Post by huszas76 »

Dear forum members!
I need a little help right now.
I have this salt cellar from Austria-Hungary, Galicia. It's from 1788 (If I see well). There is a maker's mark, and a tax mark too.
I know the hallmarking system in this region in this age. I know, that the character in the hallmark shows the city, where the assay office punched it. I have a source with the list of characters and cities (Lanz-Schmid-Strahalm: Silber der österrechisch-ungarischen Monarchie), but in this book nothing belongs to the "R". So I can't identify the city right now.
Anyone have another source to this area? Anyone can to identify the city, where my salt cellar made?
I don't know any sources for the maker of this region, but after we have the city, anyone can help to identify the maker?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards!
Krisztián
blakstone
contributor

Re: Salt cellar from Galicia

Post by blakstone »

The letter “R” was the code for the Galician assay office in Zaleszczyki (now Zalishchyky, Ternopil Oblast, Ukraine). However, the letter at the top of the maker’s mark indicated the city in that assay office jursidiction in which the silversmith was registered. The letter above the maker “WS” in your mark looks like a “B” to me, which indicated the city of Buczacz (now Buchach, Ternopil Oblast, Ukraine). The letter for the city of Zaleszczyki was “Z”, which really don’t think is the letter here.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a good reference for Galician/Ukrainian silversmiths. If you do, I would certainly appreciate knowing of it!

Hope this helps!

Ref: Micha Gradowski, Znaki Na Srebrze [Marks on Silver] (Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Pwn, 2001), pp. 206-209, tables 1 & 2 (which have a complete list of all the Galician assay office and jurisdictional city codes).

Return to “Other Countries”