small oval box with medevil battle scene ,no marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

small oval box with medevil battle scene ,no marks?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members I have just purchased a small unmarked box that may be silver,it has an interesting looks like a battle scene on the lid.would anyone have an opinion on the country it was made in and rough age? I feel it maybe German or Dutch.
Regards Guido.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: small oval box with medevil battle scene ,no marks?

Post by dognose »

Hi Guido,

The decoration depicts Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch'.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch

Trev.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Trev
That's fantastic. it is amazing ,you would not believe that some of my paintings that I have are early oil copies after Rembrant .One on canvas one on oak panel.Thanks for your quick reply. Do you think it may be silver?
Regards Guido.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Oel suggests in this post how the painting was a popular theme reproduced on such items:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... tch#p59871

Trev.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Trev
Thanks for all the info. the only mark i have found is an X in the top left hand side between two sticks, it probably does not mean much may be no 10 in the run. Also on eBay I came across a similar box with hallmarks looked like Ld b3 925 and passant lion.If you can find the same one ,I would be interested if we can track down the maker of that one ,it may be a clue to where mine was made.

regards Guido.

I put in silver box with Rembrant night watch scene.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, there are actually three crosses Saint Andrews for Amsterdam, check your box if you can find a little sword mark. The maker's mark mark you refer to; LdB3 in rectangle with cut corners for: de Leeuw den Bouter, registered Schoonhoven 1946-1971
LdB3, Lion Passant II for silver 835 fineness, Minerva head regional assay office letter M for Schoonhoven, year letter h for 1957

Similar (nearly) box; Sizes; 5.5 cm wide, 4.5 cm tall and 0.8 cm deep.Weight 27 grams. Office mark for (Minerva Head +A) Amsterdam. Fineness 833/1000, Maker's mark; M+C in oval for Th.& P. Moerkerk(Fa. Moerkerk & Co), working from 1923 until 1928 in Haarlem. Date letter P=1925

A Google search: zilveren doosje met nachtwacht will reveal more.

Peter.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Peter
Thanks very much for all the great information. I have now seen the three crosses in a line (vertical) I think i may have spotted the sword,can you tell me the shape of it or show me an image.What maker will it be with these marks?is it silver with out the silver marks?
Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Guido,

For Dutch hallmarks, including sword mark see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Without official hallmarks I should say the box is made out of white metal, probably silver and a silver test could reveal more.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... st#p149125

Peter
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Peter
Thanks for all your help. I cannot find a sword at this stage.I have noticed a small curved shape ,crescent moon shape above the man on the ground on the left of the scene.just above his shoulder.I am not sure if this is a mark or not. What period do you think it was made in.

Many Thanks Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

No marks, my guess last quarter 20th century.

Peter.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Peter
Many thanks.
Have you ever come across the three crosses scratched or engraved in like on my box instead of stamped or punched in ?does this mean the crosses were put in by th maker and not the assay office (that"s why no assay marks?)
Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Guido, if you look carefully at my box, made by Moerkerk. Top left you will notice the same three crosses. Just part of the scene, to indicate Amsterdam, put in by the maker/ making process.

Peter
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Peter
Thanks again for your comments. If everything is very similar to your box except for the hallmarks , is it possible that my box is made around the same date and maybe by that same maker?and not 50-60years later.
Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes, it is possible.

Peter.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Peter

Many Thanks. Guido.

Return to “Other Countries”