Double wood handled bowl ore quaich

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Serg1975
contributor

Double wood handled bowl ore quaich

Post by Serg1975 »

Hello!
Please, what do you think about the country, the period and the silversmith of production?
Hanau ore other?
Well seen hallmark with initials.
The second hallmark (town?) is defective.
On wooden handles there are traces of black paint, for example, Chinese ink.
Thanks for any help.

amena
contributor

Re: Double wood handled bowl ore quaich

Post by amena »

Your bowl is probably an ember bowl, an object that was used to light cigars or pipes before the invention of matches. I know it was a very popular object in Spain, but I can not help you with the marks.
Sorry
Amena
Serg1975
contributor

Post by Serg1975 »

Thank you, Amena. The purpose of the object became clear.
Regards,
Sergey.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hola buenos días, efectivamente como dice Amena, se trata de un "braserillo o chofeta" español. Las marcas son falsas y en mis investigaciones he conseguido relacionarlas con un platero de nombre BONIFACIO MAJADAS, (existe en la web bastante información de él), quién se dedico a finales del XIX y principios del XX a falsificar o reproducir objetos del XVIII. En España antes del XX los plateros debían examinarse para poder ejercer su oficio, y este platero no lo consiguió. Creo que como represalia se dedico a reproducir objetos anteriores a su época y marcarlos con diferentes punzones falsos. Incluso creo que algún descendiente suyo siguió haciéndolo hasta mediados del XX.
Un saludo

Hello good morning, indeed as Amena says, it is a Spanish "braserillo" or chofeta. The marks are false and in my research I have managed to relate them to a silversmith named BONIFACIO MAJADAS, (there is a lot of information on the web about him), who dedicated himself in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries to falsifying or reproducing eighteenth-century objects. In Spain before the twentieth the silversmiths had to be examined in order to exercise their trade, and this silversmith did not succeed. I think that in retaliation he dedicated himself to reproducing objects prior to his time and marking them with different false punches. I even think that some of his descendants continued doing it until the middle of the twentieth.
a greeting

Le mando el contraste de Majadas, las dos marcas que le acompañan son también falsas.

I send him the contrast of Majadas, the two brands that accompany him are also false.
Serg1975
contributor

Post by Serg1975 »

Hola Funkel!
It is very interesting to learn about the Spanish version of the German Hanau.
I will be grateful for the sources about the Spanish silversmiths that worked in this way.
Everything became clear.
By the way, in the discussion of our forum, I found in a new light the incorrect attribution of this false marks.
Previous opinions is a fake leopard - colonial China, Spanish Colonies (in America) ore English colonies.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... wl#p119763
Bravo!
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hello Serg1975, I'm sorry I did not see the brand you send before, it's the same author. This man in his brands, used to use others similar to those of other Spanish cities, there is a city in Spain that used a castle with a cross, Palencia, (attached an image) very similar to the one that Elena Russ sent.
In many occasions used marks very similar to the one of the city of Toledo (attached image), for that reason I believe that it was of that city.

Regards
Serg1975
contributor

Post by Serg1975 »

Funkel, fake Toledo hallmarks, which you showed in the post above and the hallmarks on my subject coincide.

Regards.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hello Serg1975, so send that picture because the brands coincide. I send you a comparison of the false marks, the "X" indicates that the contrasts appeared together on occasion.

Regards
Serg1975
contributor

Post by Serg1975 »

Hello, Funkel. Very detailed table. I have two questions.
1. Do you think that this is one master or a different masters?
2. If it is a group of masters (or all different masters) were they all United on a territorial basis in Spain or all worked separately?
Thanks.
With respect
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hello, Serg1975
I think it's the same silversmith. If you read more of this post, I relate it with Bonifacio Majadas, who was dedicated to reproduce pieces of s. XVIII and XIX. I think all the brands are from this silversmith.
a greeting

Hola, Serg1975
Creo que se trata del mismo platero. Si lees mas arriba de este post, lo relaciono con Bonifacio Majadas, quien se dedico a reproducir piezas del s. XVIII y XIX. Creo que todas las marcas son de este platero.
Un saludo

Return to “Other Countries”