Celtic Cross 825 Mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chii12

Celtic Cross 825 Mark?

Post by chii12 »

Hello,

Could someone please tell me what this mark (that looks to me like a Celtic cross) means? (hopefully I posted this correctly and there should be a link to two images below...)

Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/J7a6ep1
chii12

Re: Celtic Cross 825 Mark?

Post by chii12 »

Sorry, here are the two images.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post a larger, sharp close-up of mark and tell us what the item is.

Trev.
chii12

Post by chii12 »

So sorry! I hope these photos will be better:

And now that I've cleaned the plate (?) a bit, the number looks more like a 925 than an 825... But the item is a silver plate (or shallow bowl) with peacock feathers decorating the rim. Unfortunately, I don't know anything else about it as it is an inherited piece.

Thank you for your time and patience.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I think it is 925 (sterling). Sorry, don't know the mark.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi All,

I can totally see why Chii12 thinks peacock feathers with the opals representing the eye feathers...but in my opinion the shape of the silver feathers isn't a match for peacock feathers. It is a match however for the Australian Lyre bird tail feathers and coupled with the use of Australian opals suggests the bowl could be Australian in origin and I would guess 1960s - 1970s.

Although there is no official hallmarking system here in OZ, many believe that all Australian silver is marked STG SIL, STERL Silver, or a variant thereof but this is not always the case. Some 20th Century makers simply stamped "925" alongside their makers mark as per this piece.

The best reference for Australian silver of this period is the recently published " Marks On Australian Silver" by Christine Errat but unfortunately this celtic cross mark is not listed.

So just a theory on my part and possible avenue for further investigation.

Cheers,
Steve
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I'm in agreement with Steve here. A combination of lyre bird feathers and opals, plus the hallmarking, makes me think it is more likely than not that this piece is Australian.

Cheers

Waylander01
chii12

Post by chii12 »

Thank you Steve and Waylander!

I was not familiar with the Australian Lyre bird, so I had to look one up, but I can see why you two would think that the feathers look more like those of a Lyre than a Peacock. It would also make more sense in combination with the opals if the piece did indeed originate in Australia. I will have to do more research in regards to the cross marking, but I greatly appreciate being pointed in what seems to be the correct direction.

Thank you again,

Chii12

Return to “Other Countries”