Judaica cup with lid. origin?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bread_baby

Judaica cup with lid. origin?

Post by bread_baby »

Dear 925,

I have this silver cup (tested) with what looks like Judaic designs and engraved text. 10,5cm height including bird. On The foot is one worn mark.

Can someone translate the engraving? Antique or fake?

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Judaica cup with lid. origin?

Post by Qrt.S »

The shown mark is not a silver mark but maybe a maker's mark or journey man's mark or? Depending on how the test was made and who made it, the result can be anything.
Please keep in mind that a "tested" silver plate object often shows a high value of silver fineness, but that is only for the surface. The silver surface on a silver plated object is 100% silver. It is a very, very thin layer of silver. The base metal can be whatever...
What your cup is, is more or less impossible to know with the information provided by you.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There seems to be one more mark (red arrow) but it does not help much,either.
It is hand embossed and chased with cast finial, but rather crude craftsmanship,though.
I suggest to find someone who is familiar with Hebrew cursive script.
I doubt it`s European in spite of T.L maker`s ? initials.
Regards

bread_baby

Post by bread_baby »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
There seems to be one more mark (red arrow) but it does not help much,either.
No that is just the embossed/debossed decorative part.
Yes I was hoping someone can recognize the style/making and read the engraving, maybe it has a date! Should I post in another area of the forum?
Qrt.S wrote:The shown mark is not a silver mark but maybe a maker's mark or journey man's mark or?
I used a File on the bottom rim/foot of the cup to remove the top layer. The acid test turned to a good red color. Sorry for not being clear.

I also have this Tunisia Judaic spice box in the shape of a pear. It looks similar to the cup don't you think? However I couldn't find any Tunisian silver marks on the Cup, I know they are very small and I looked everywhere. It looks exactly like this (pic from eBay):

I t

Return to “Other Countries”