Unknown European Tablespoons - P.G GC and Lion Passant

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bstaunto
contributor

Unknown European Tablespoons - P.G GC and Lion Passant

Post by bstaunto »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any idea about these spoons?

I thought maybe Dutch? But have no real idea!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ben

oel
co-admin

Re: Unknown European Tablespoons - P.G GC and Lion Passant

Post by oel »

Hi Ben, not Dutch perhaps German, not sure.

Peter.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Ben, we had something recently also involving a similar lion-like mark. (Note apparent tongue and reversing tail here...not completely crude and slightly refined...not a gryphon/griffon, but a lion rampant or walking left.) Oel has eliminated the need to search one area. So, we may be looking along that Prussian-Russian influence zone that other thread led to...search "Dorpat" and see Tartu, Riga, etc. coming up...one possible region (but strict spoon constructionists may have more info on your eras). Within Germany proper there seems to be only one city mark that changes from shields to ovals and back that might relate here, but I'm having my own doubts.
To be read humorously...since this site is less of "Ask Mr. Wizard" and more of "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves", I'll note this...we have (right side) a city/region mark coupled with an assay master mark..in addition is the presumed maker mark (left side) reading "P dot G", "P pellet G", or "P.G" (not that the search engine will easily pick this up).
I'm not one for rapping knuckles with rulers, but it may be neccessary to pound on keys to get answers.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Bauske had a similar hallmark but in Leistikow is no maker PG or GC ...
The shape of spoon looks a little bit french.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Adjustment: Lion is Passant, not Rampant.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Another example of a confusing "passant oval": viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28134&p=68982&hili ... val#p68982

Besides all the problems of pseudo-marks, there is an extensive list of German towns using lion marks....and they come up in other countries too. What may be more helpful is that your sample seems to be in a circle rather than strict oval...perhaps check measurements to see if it is round.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The first thing I thought of as well is "looks French" - what about an area with combined German and French influences like the "Alsace-Lorraine" region - that is just a guess at this point ::

I'm not sure I have ever heard of any silver from the "Alsace-Lorraine" region, now that I think about it :::::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The lion of this form in an oval was used in Bauska,Latvia, in 18th century.
Also, I have an Austrian 18th century spoon of exactly the same back of the bowl.
Reference literature is not with me at the moment,but Austria-Hungary could be another possibility.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I think it's from Florence, end of the eighteenth.
Below two examples

Best
Amena
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

amena wrote:I think it's from Florence, end of the eighteenth.
Below two examples

Best
Amena
Nice .. You got it.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Is this the aforementioned example from Latvia? :: If not Latvian, I kind of thought it was Romanian and I put it in a drawer, but now that I saw this thread, I found this spoon :::: I know the "12" stands for "12 Loth," so that would make me search through Germany first, but perhaps this could add to this thread and help someone in the future :::::

The form of the spoon just reminded me of Romania, but it could be Latvian? :: Is this just similar to the Florence Lion? :::

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Stuttgart Germany shows a running horse with an assay master mark in-between the legs-in-motion, just in case that is a possible candidate ::::
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Aguest wrote:Is this the aforementioned example from Latvia? :: If not Latvian, I kind of thought it was Romanian and I put it in a drawer, but now that I saw this thread, I found this spoon :::: I know the "12" stands for "12 Loth," so that would make me search through Germany first, but perhaps this could add to this thread and help someone in the future :::::
it is Romanian
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Theoderich

Mind my asking but I'm lost now. Is your only argument it being Romanian the very similar initials MG, or? I cannot find anything in my books indicating that the lion (?) mark to the right would indicate Romania. Anyway, the dolphin mark on your spoon was used 1906-1926, but the other spoon has a 12 loth fineness mark indicating it being from earlier than 1880. Maybe it is Romanian, but on what basis?
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Dear Qrt.s!
I agree with Thederic.
This assumption is partly based on the assumption that Romanian territories adjacent to Transylvania were likely to work with a similar signaling system, and that many similar ones were found in that region, sometimes with romanian hallmarks, and typical decoration and style.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ian#p90077
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ian#p87920
But we are waiting some real written source.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Dear Krisztián

I do not disagree, I only like to know the reasons (see evidence) for the spoon being from Romania because the lion mark is not, at least not me, known to be a Romanian hallmark. Then there is the time gap. The loth mark is generally speaking not used after about 1880-1890. Promille is used expressing fineness. As I mentioned the dolphin mark is implemented 1906. Quite a gap for the MG, not impossible but still. Anyway, the crusial here is what you said "This assumpition is partly based...." So it is only an assumption, right? Nonetheless, I' just wondering and therefore asking...Romania is not actually so interesting to me, but anyway...
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Yes, it is an assumption, but the signs point in this direction.
On the other hand: We never said, that we know any romanian city marks with lion hallmark, and I'm not remember, that I ever saw this type of hallmark.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Krisztián
OK, your argumentation is good enough, thanks.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

I am not very interestin in romania, but I have some marks in my page. I hope, there is a Romaina collector who will make a referencebook with all this marks.

About the MG-Mark. It is the same makersmark.

There is a list of Romaina towns. The city of Aiud has a griffin in the coat of arms.

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Not that it would concern the earlier question, but as a search reference for the latter discussion: "Griffin Encircled", "Griffon Encircled", "Gryphon Encircled", "Twelve (12) Boxed".

Return to “Other Countries”