Is this an (Italian) assay mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
brgrt

Is this an (Italian) assay mark?

Post by brgrt »

Is this a mark for 0900? There is no decimal point between the first and second zero and the "9" is not really a "9," if you want to be strict about it. (The mark to the left of this in the first hallmark photo is a gouged out fleck of silver, not another mark.) There may be one more mark, it's falling off the edge of the tray, so it's hard to make out, but I thought it might be a 5. And if the mark is for 900 silver purity, would you say the tray is Italian?

Thanks,
Tamara

brgrt

Re: Is this an (Italian) assay mark?

Post by brgrt »

I'm wrong about Italy. I think it has 800 silver purity.
brgrt

Re: Is this a 900 assay mark?

Post by brgrt »

I forgot to mention that there are no other marks on this silver tray. That's why I'm assuming (hoping) that this must be an assay mark. Does anyone agree? I have several silver items that do not have any marks at all, or have silver purity marks but no maker's marks. I'm not sure if they are American, foreign, or a mix. Any ideas from readers about such pieces, which I'm assuming from look and feel are silver?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

HI,
If there is only millesimal fineness (800 in this case) trying to identify the country of origin, and let alone the maker, is waste of time.
In short, an impossible mission.
Regards
brgrt

Post by brgrt »

Hi,

Actually, the silver fineness on this tray is 900, if it’s anything. I’m not trying to identify makers of unmarked silver, but only find an assay mark and perhaps country of origin. We know that only some countries had 900 silver purity. According to 925-1000.com, these countries are: U. S. coin, China, Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Japan, Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon. So it would be one of these countries. And given that this tray came from a large stock of silver whose non-U.S. items were from Germany, Hungary, Italy and Mexico, I would say the probable contenders are Germany, Italy, and Hungary. But there is also the peculiar style of this mark, especially the “9.” It is a further clue. In any case, from your reply, you seem to think this is a purity mark. Am I correct?

Tamara
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I seem to read 0.900.
The dot has not been used in Italy. It could be Swiss.
Best
Amena
brgrt

Post by brgrt »

Hi Amena,

I don't understand. There is no dot in this number. Does that make Italy a possible source?

Thanks,
Tamara
brgrt

Post by brgrt »

Amena, I think I see what made you think there was a decimal point. But I checked, and there is none. Have you ever seen 0900 written with such a weird "9"?
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Never seen such a strange writing.
It does not seem Italian to me, anyway.
Are you sure it's solid silver?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

It seems to be a mis-struck "nine" and I have a feeling this tray is from Mexico, the time which pre-dates the "federal eagle" hallmark of 1948 when Mexico used a variety of hallmarks, the style of the tray does remind me of Mexican trays, and I found a very similar tray from Mexico with the following stampy:

The stamp even has that really strange "duckbill" type of shape on the number "nine" :: I don't know why it reminds me of a "duckbill" but it does :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The "Hecho A Mano" translates to "Made By Hand" from Spanish to English, and although we are not 100% certain it is from Mexico, there are enough stylistic elements to link it to other 900 silver trays from Mexico, the work of Maciel comes to mind immediately, this tray does seem to have the basic form of trays I have seen by Maciel, but lacks the higher-levels of ornamentation such as hand-stamped flowers and bright-cut engravings, but there were so many independent silversmiths in Mexico who were influenced by the larger manufacturers (Spratling, Maciel, etc.) and the form does place this tray within the tradition of Mexico :::::

However, I have seen the "Hecho A Mano" and "900" hallmarks on pieces from Peru, so I'm not ruling out Peru as a possible candidate, but it seems quite strongly rooted in Mexico with a very slight chance of Peru, perhaps further research will help ::
brgrt

Post by brgrt »

Hi Aguest,

Thanks for your posts.

I like your choice of Mexico because it makes sense within the context of my silver. And your answer about the mistruck 9 is compelling too: the bottom of your 9 and mine match. However, all my other Mexican silver is stamped 925 or sterling, and none has this style. They are either repousse or modern mid-century. Googling “900 Mexican trays” doesn’t bring up anything. What other research can you suggest?

I’d like to throw another tray into the mix. It’s very similar to this one, but heavier and has cutout handles (Sorry about the ugly tarnish). Though I have to double check this, there is no other mark but L.M. on it. I’ve spoken online to another person who also has this L.M. mark, so we can assume it’s not a monogram. Does this mark tell you anything?

Tamara

finnegan

Post by finnegan »

However, I have seen the "Hecho A Mano" and "900" hallmarks on pieces from Peru, so I'm not ruling out Peru as a possible candidate, but it seems quite strongly rooted in Mexico with a very slight chance of Peru, perhaps further research will help ::
The style of the tray is fairly standard Spanish Colonial revivalism and silver in this style is seen from Mexico all the way down to the icy tips of Argentina and Chile. Almost every country in this area has marked decimally and more often than not with the extra zero and period. Can't see any reason to pinpoint it to Mexico, Peru or any other country in the Americas.
brgrt

Post by brgrt »

Finnegan,

I wish you would show me a single similar tray. I found only one online, a round tray with a similar rim, and it is by an American silversmith named William de Matteo.

If this tray and the one I just posted could be from Mexico, then they probably are. All my Western hemisphere, non-U.S., silver items are from Mexico, and since these items all came from the same dealers, their provenance is probably the same.

Tamara

Return to “Other Countries”