IM maker mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samsiba

IM maker mark

Post by samsiba »

Hello: Please help to identify maker mark seen on snuff box. There is no other mark
Thank you. Kind regards, Sam
https://postimg.cc/mzz46gWc
https://postimg.cc/zy8dfz79
dognose
Site Admin

Re: IM maker mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
samsiba

Post by samsiba »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

If using postimages.org copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code.

Remember to use the Preview feature, what you see, we see.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

What happened to the images?

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

That host used to allow you to set an expiration limit..maybe they did that? Or was this when they got booted by their carrier and had to re-start, loosing all the old images?
samsiba

Post by samsiba »

Here they are
samsiba

Post by samsiba »

GeorgiaJunebug

Post by GeorgiaJunebug »

samsiba wrote:Image
samsiba wrote:Image
samsiba wrote:Here they are

On the photo with the hallmarks, is the lettering below the crown a T, an inverted J or is there a dot or dash between the letters? Sorry, can’t quite make it out.
GeorgiaJunebug

Post by GeorgiaJunebug »

Ok, just saw other photos which were clearer. So, it’s an I and an M- correct?

On the photo with the hallmarks, is the lettering below the crown a T, an inverted J or is there a dot or dash between the letters? Sorry, can’t quite make it out.[/quote]
GeorgiaJunebug

Post by GeorgiaJunebug »

I’m not sure if this will be helpful or not. I did find some letters that look similar to your I-M mark. I also found similar marks to the crown hallmark. However, finding both together wasn’t as successful.

But, perhaps something here might get you a place to start. Also, you’re certain it’s a snuff box? Not a trinket box or another sort of covered piece? Wasn’t able to determine the overall size of the box. Also, have you determined the stone set in the top? That might also give you some hint to location of production.

The various single crowns had portions that resembled the one on the box, however, I’m not sure if the crown’s band is a match or not. The I-M mark looked interesting-again, see if the font is a true match. The 1760’s date would match snuff usages...anyway, let me know if any of this looks promising.

I’ll keep searching and see if I can unearth anything else that you might find helpful.

samsiba

Post by samsiba »

Hi: thank you for your searching. Sorry, but I think none of the crowns correspond to the one seen on the box. Dimensions of box are 7.1x5.6x2.3 height.
Hardstone seems to be agate. Thanks
GeorgiaJunebug

Post by GeorgiaJunebug »

samsiba wrote:Hi: thank you for your searching. Sorry, but I think none of the crowns correspond to the one seen on the box. Dimensions of box are 7.1x5.6x2.3 height.
Hardstone seems to be agate. Thanks
Thank you for this information. Scotland is known for producing agate jewelry for tourists. Let me delve in a bit there and see if I might stumble upon something. I realize stones could be imported, but it’s worth a shot!

What did you think on the lettering match ? Did you see any similarities worth following.

Couldn’t tell if the stamped crown had possibly moved when struck and the band or cross areas on it had moved. That’s why I sent you all I had found this far.

Sorry none were a match.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I hate assumptions but here we go...If this is in fact silver, and you are dealing with a singular mark rather than two marks overlaid, then the form of mark is likely archaic...that is, pre-hallmark. So, ["I pellet M" under crown] for search reference. The crowned letter mark is often used in Hanua (historicism) silver where they revived archaic European marks for pseudo marks. This is one of those crown styles. But your mark is very clean and could be genuine. That said, there is a Trefid spoon entry on the site having a crowned letter pair, with thoughts that it may fall into the much latter part of the 1600's. [Coincidental that this era follows after the great plague which boosted snuff useage? Not my zone of knowledge.] The shape of the area around the mark contents, cartouche if you wish, should be carefully observed in any comparison...on the spoon it is not squared. The would be little point in comparing this to the established British hallmarking systems and those makers. Of course, much more needs to be examined before reaching any conclusions on dating or locations.
samsiba

Post by samsiba »

Thank you for your contribuition. I think as you do, that it is neither a pseudo mark nor overlaid marks. The squared shield is perfectly aligned and shows continuous lines namely on the laterals. The "bottom" of the shield is perfectly plain as well. I was told that this box, before coming to my hands, was purchased in Guernsey but...who knows where it has been before and before and before?. Thank you again. All the best
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

samsiba wrote: I was told that this box, before coming to my hands, was purchased in Guernsey but..
Now..... that is interesting, for the mark is in very much the same style as several known 18th Century Channel Island makers.

Could we be looking at an previously unrecorded CI silversmith?

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I was also thinking about an un-recorded Channel Islands silversmith, at least there is the potential to link a name with the initials "IM" even though this particular hallmark has never been officially recorded before. ::: It is just so exceptionally rare to find an unrecorded mark from the Channel Islands, I was waiting for others to chime in before I posted it, but that would be my best guess as well. ::::

Return to “Other Countries”