Hungarian silver 800 mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
erundle

Hungarian silver 800 mark?

Post by erundle »

Looking for help identifying one of the marks on a lovely tray, which we have inherited from my husband's family.

They lived in Prague for many generations, so I know that the mark on the left (in the third photo) is the Czech import mark: the fleur-de-lys with a C above, which was used from 1929-1942. Given the family's departure from Prague before the invasion, that narrows the period in question to 1929-1938, I think, unless the same or a similar import mark was used earlier.

What's really puzzling me is the 800 mark, in a coffin-shaped six-sided lozenge, preceded by what looks like a head facing right. (But maybe it's something else altogether?)

These same two marks also appear on a flatware set. I've included some photos of these items and their marks, as well, so you can see a variety of the stamps. Some are clearer than others, but they are all extremely small. (I don't see a maker's mark anywhere on the tray or the flatware.)

I have searched extensively online, and the only things I've found that are even close to the 800 mark are some Hungarian silver marks.
Many thanks for sharing your expertise!

huszas76
contributor

Re: Hungarian silver 800 mark?

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
It looks like an austrian export mark in the '20 years.
Just like here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48001&p=144139&hil ... rt#p144139
Best regards!
Krisztián
erundle

Post by erundle »

Yes, that's the closest thing I've seen--thank you!
So, whatever the symbol is before the 800 will tell me who the maker is, correct?
Do you know of any source I can consult to decipher that?
erundle

Post by erundle »

Yes, that's the closest thing I've seen--thank you!
So, whatever the symbol is before the 800 will tell me who the maker is, correct?
Do you know of any source I can consult to decipher that?

Return to “Other Countries”