new info on my enamel top cigarette box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

new info on my enamel top cigarette box

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
My post on 13-8-2018 re enamel top cigarette box.
I have discovered some information at the Wallace collection,that I feel may give me some clues about the top of my box.
The hanging images by Jacques Charlier are in the same style and size of my box(watercolour on ivory).Charlier is said to have worked with Boucher (that we thought the images were after)
While in Venice I came across a similar enamel plaque on a box that the owner said used to be a hanging plaque before it was put on the box.
It now seems to me that these enamel plaques are older than the boxes they are in and may be mine was once a hanging plaque as well.

It is still a mystery where these plaques were made.As the Charlier (1706-1790) paintings were done so early it seems strange that the enamel plaques would be done so long after 1900-1930. and not closer to the originals 1830-1880 as an example.

AG2012
contributor

Re: new info on my enamel top cigarette box

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Being very popular motifs, they were widely reproduced later and enamel plaque cannot be dated based on the original painting, except for the fact it cannot be older than the painting itself.
Much later enamel work is very probable even after 200 years.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi AG
I agree with most of what you say , my main point I wanted to share is that the plaque may have been made earlier than the box if it used to be a wall hanging plaque .I also would suggest some of these things are done closer to when the originals are painted when it is more in fashion ,rather than when fashion has changed hundreds of years later.The quality of the images usually give an idea of the period it was painted .eg painted last week probably chinese. painted 100-150 ago maybe Swiss,French,German ,etc.

Many thanks for your thoughts, the mystery goes on ,one day I might be able to attach a maker to the plaque.

Do you agree that the plaque from Venice looks like it may be by the same artist ,maker as my plaque?
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
I would like to say my last post about the painting on my enamel box may have been after Jacques Charlier,I now Know was not correct. As I have just recently found an image of the original painting on my box painted in 1738 by Francois Boucher (1703-1770)
I have posted the pictures of the original unfortunately it is in black and white.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Other Countries”