Spoon with unknown hallmarks. Help needed!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
testing123

Spoon with unknown hallmarks. Help needed!

Post by testing123 »

I don't think it's that old, but more of a curiosity. Can anyone determine the age and country of origin for this spoon?
The front has some lettering that looks like OND MILL SOPP along with 1748. It has some kind of crest so I'm assuming the date is related to the crest, not when the spoon was made.

The back handle has 4 hallmarks - "13" in an oval, "L" in an oval, I can't determine the 3rd, and the 4th is just a diamond.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Spoon with unknown hallmarks. Help needed!

Post by Traintime »

"Ond Mitt Sopp"....Norwegian= Evil My Mushroom if you can believe that. For 1748, all I could find was a restriction on using royal flag on merchant vessels which would thence fly the new flag. 13 is likely a lot/loth/lothig/etc. mark for silver fineness of not less than...usually Germany at this number.Uncovering mark #3 may be the key here.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

It say "gud mitt hopp" which is the Swedish royal logo for Frederick I (1720-1751) and means "In God my Hope". Most likely just a copy of a Swedish coin or an actual coin turned into a late 19th century spoon probably in Germany
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

So then, all pseudos is possible. Mark 1-"13" portending loth, but not necessarily accurate. Mark 2-"L"-in-oval pretending an archaic date symbol. Mark 3-Unreadable...possibly one of the false marks of the Hanau-pseudo types. Mark 4-Diamond shape w/o letters imitating a maker mark form (and thus eliminating Mark 2 from consideration as a real maker mark).

Return to “Other Countries”