Any ideas on this spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
monashmoving

Any ideas on this spoon?

Post by monashmoving »

Hello,

Can anyone help to identify this spoon? Thanks in advance.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Any ideas on this spoon?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please choose another photohost, one that does not apply an advertising banner across the part we need to see.

Trev.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Crowned C was used in town mark for Karlstad in Sweden but then you would need to find three crown's mark, date mark (letter + number, like A4) and also a maker's mark (usually initials, like ALS). I can't really see what the small marks are and the one on the left is hidden by the photobucket banner. But I don't really think that this is a Swedish spoon. The hallmarks which I can see look more like Hanau pseudo hallmarks. You could check out this list to see if you can find a match: https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html For example B. Neresheimer & Söhne has used a similar crowned C hallmark. Overall I think this is a late 19th or early 20th century historicist style spoon.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
the shield held by the bearer is from Berne, capital of Switzerland. We can assume this is one spoon of a set, a spoon per Swiss canton, at this time either 22 spoons (one for each full canton) plus a spoon for Switzerland, or 24 spoons if a spoon per half canton was made.
Crowned letters were used by silversmiths from Berne in the 19th century. But here I also tend towards a Hanau make.
Regards, Jörg

Return to “Other Countries”