Austrian Art Deco mocha set with Diana Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Austrian Art Deco mocha set with Diana Mark

Post by silverfan »

These small pieces are marked with Diana 3 and A for Vienna, so they must have been produced before 1923. A very early Art Deco pattern!? Maker's mark reads GR. Who is it?
The handle is marked with two A. For Vienna or another meaning?
The little coffee pot has lost its lid. How could it have looked like? Does anybody know by chance this set and can tell me the shape of the lid or can make a proposal for a replacement.
Regards silverfan

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Austrian Art Deco mocha set with Diana Mark

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my saying but the same Diana Kopf was used in Hungary 1919-1937. This era fits better the Art Deco style (1925-39). The "little coffee pot" to the left is in my mind a creamer or do you mean the sugar bowl to the right? It has no lid, or? Anyway, it is not for sure that a sugar bowl always had a lid, but if it had, I would assume it had a similar lid as the coffee pot, or?
Unfortunately I don't know who the maker is, but I believe that Krisztián will drop in any minute ;-))
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Qrt.S and all,
sure this period fits the style better, but the Diana bears 3 and A for Vienna as I said. So the item must be produced before 1923 in Austria.
To the left you see a little creamer and to the right a little sugar bowl, in the middle the mocha pot without lid. I have an idea how the lid could have looked like, but I can be totally wrong that`s why I am curious of your proposals. Perhaps with a drawing ;-)
What do the two A mean?
Regards silverfan
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

I can't help with the hallmarks but the style of the set is very interesting. It echoes the style of neoclassical porcelain items from late 18th and early 19th century made for example by Meissen during the Marcolini period. Especially the handles are strikingly similar.
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

The maker is most likely Gustav Resch, worked in Wien, Mariahilferstrasse, in 1908.
(Neuwirth, Wiener gold- und silberschmiede ind ihre punzen 1867-1922 L-Z, II/146.)
Best regards!
Krisztián
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This Austrian Franz Joseph order was made by GEBRUDER RESCH (GR).
Not sure if they made tea sets,but the mark GR is the same, or Gustav,one of the brothers had his own workshop.
Small letter A is secondary mark for Vienna.
Regards

silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Thanks huszas76 and AG2012 for telling that Gustav or Gebrüder Resch were the maker of the mocha set. In the internet I found that during the monarchy they were court suppliers. Is this right? Starting from the style I suppose the set to be created between 1918 and 1923, very "Avantgarde" for that time.
No proposal for the lid!?
Regards silverfan
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

I am not sure if the piece in the middle is a mocha pot, because there is no insulation between the handle and the pot. What could it be otherwise?
Regards silverfan

Return to “Other Countries”