Help I.D. marks on serving pieces-probably European

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hermansstuff

Help I.D. marks on serving pieces-probably European

Post by hermansstuff »

These two pieces have puzzled me for years. They're heavy, no marks on back, only the three up on the handle. They polish like silver, no signs of worn plating, but maybe I'm just polishing nickel silver? Note that the surrounds on the 4 leaf clovers differ on the two pieces.

Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi hermansstuff

The important hallmark for identification is the head in the 5 half-round form (5-leafed clover). It is Austrian-Hungarian silver, from 1886 - 1922.

It is a Diana head mark, number at left indicates silver purity, 3 =.800. Letter on right indicates city, P = Pest, A = Vienna

For furher identification start from there.

Regards

Jörg
hermansstuff

Thanks

Post by hermansstuff »

Joerg, I thank you. I can see what looks like a P on each, but no 800. The head looks like Mickey Mouse to me. I'll dig some more. I thought they were 800 silver, typical flatware quality in Europe. Herman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
The "cloverleaf" maker's mark belongs to Alexander Sturm of Vienna, a well regarded maker and I believe they still are in business.
Regards, Tom

ps.
There will not be an .800 mark, as Jorg explained, within the mark of the woman's head (Diana), there should be a single letter (indicates city) and a single number, usually 2 or 3 (3 indicates .800 purity)

Return to “Other Countries”