Art Deco Bagues? with 159 over B, Star and woman at well

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Digimantra

Art Deco Bagues? with 159 over B, Star and woman at well

Post by Digimantra »

I'm at a loss. Try as I may I have not been able to identify this maker.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Wow! beautiful set, but not deco. Modernist, 70's or 80's I'd guess, and Spanish made, see Foreign Hallmarks. Since 1934, the pentagram has been the Spanish silver standard mark (.910 purity) and Spanish maker's marks are stamped in the hexagonal format.

Tardy's International Hallmarks gives no explanation of the Spanish maker's mark system, but a logical assumption would be that it is similar to the Italian system - Yours would be the 159th silver producer who registered in the city of "B". The first mark (with figure) would be their own symbolic maker's mark. The name Bagues is the retailer's mark.

A web search for - Bagues plata (silver) - yielded a jeweler in Barcelona by that name. Spanish jewelers are also commonly silver shops, a la Tiffany & Buccellati. They gave a contact email - info@bagues.es
The link also indicated that they were somehow strongly related to the firm of Masriera. If so, your set is probably of the highest quality, Masriera was one of the finest producers of precious metal items that ever existed. I'd drop them a line and see if they fess up to the set. 'course a lot of this is guesswork, but it's worth a shot. Anybody have any other thoughts?

Tom
ps. Your image of the marks is great, may I have your permission to copy and illustrate it on the foreign marks page?
Last edited by admin on Sun May 29, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digimantra

Post by Digimantra »

Thanks so much!
Please feel free to use the pictures in any capacity.
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hey,
That is a handsome service. We'll be on tenterhooks, don't forget to let us know what you learn.
Best, Fin

Return to “Other Countries”