Eagle 1 pics, Spratling or No? Help ID

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
spark

Eagle 1 pics, Spratling or No? Help ID

Post by spark »

Could these shakers be done by William S. Himself? Or they could be Jose Marmolejos?
I think they are late 40's maybe later.
What do you all think?? I cannot figure out.
spark

Re: Eagle 1 pics, Spratling or No? Help ID

Post by spark »

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The 'Eagle 1' mark would indicate assay in Mexico City, to my eye, appears to be the later eagle, used from the mid '50s into the 70s. Your shakers bear no Spratling marks and are not at all typical of his designs (he was not a silversmith); not Marmolejos either - I read the maker's mark as 'LMS', or 'LSM' if taking the center initial for the surname...

~Cheryl
spark

Post by spark »

I also see it as LMS, if you look at some of the marmelaids markings they also show LMS.

Im needing help on what the marks mean, I already know what they can possibly mean. Do you have any insight on what they are actually?
I know for a fact they were purchased new in the 40's, please explain how you got to 70's?
Thanks
spark

Post by spark »

Im still new to all this but its very confusing, I was researching on this site and seen Jose M. as LMS.
I was looking at it the other way and its SW or WS.
Im still trying to make sense of it.
These were bought new by my grandma in laws mother in the 40's, thats all I know.

https://mega.co.nz/#F!BM5WSYzQ!V57LMGCiQGxiS0CMfyptcA
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - again, your shakers have no connection to Spratling, other than that a few Spratling pieces show up with Mexico City 'Eagle 1' marks, the eagle mark on your items is the later simple silhouette version, not put in use until right around 1955 (unfortunately, family histories are not always right on the money). This page illustrates and explains the marks: Mexican Marks

Personally, can't see any logical reason for Jose Marmolejos to use an 'L' instead of a 'J', the only Marmolejos marks I can recall seeing are the 'JSM' mark shown on this site and a simple 'J. MARMOLEJOS'. I do not have Hougart's book on Mexican silver - perhaps someone who does have it will check for your mark, but a large number of Mexican silver maker's marks are still unascribed.

~Cheryl

Your marks:

An early detailed Mexico City 'Eagle 1' mark:

Marmolejos mark:
spark

Post by spark »

What about Lillian Molyneux Stubbs?
The time frame is correct but it should be LMS in 3 conjoined circles.
I am not very good at giving up, this is gonna drive me insane!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Eh - strikes me as highly unlikely that a somewhat obscure 19th century Chester, England maker would be producing typical Mexican silver in the mid 20th century...

Again, numerous Mexican marks are unascribed, but if the mark is known, it would most likely be found in Hougart's latest version (2013) of 'The Little Book of Mexican Trade and Hallmarks (Third Edition)' - if no one who has the book looks in here, then you might consider checking your local library or bookstore.

~Cheryl
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Mexican tourist item. Not Spratling.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”