Grandma's Taxco

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jenn727

Grandma's Taxco

Post by jenn727 »

Does anyone recognize this mark? I can't make out the initials in the center. IHC? JHL? I can only read TAXCO MEXICO 925 and the (3) which also means Taxco, right, so isn't that redundant?

Here is the front of the brooch...
Traintime
contributor

Re: Grandma's Taxco

Post by Traintime »

No, not redundant...The Eagle marks are Assay Marks to guarantee purity (government approval so to say). The Maker's Mark is for identity as is a guarantee only in so much as their reputation has been established. Your Eagle is of the later kind and gives you a general time frame to narrow this down. If the initials in the maker mark are for a designer at a larger firm, the make-up of the outer ring may match other known samples even where the initials of another designer are present, again helping you to narrow down the possibles. But we're a long way from uncovering all those unidentified makers. What is the object you have?
jenn727

Re: Grandma's Taxco

Post by jenn727 »

It's a brooch, approximately 2.5" wide. There's turquoise inlay in it. Did my second photo show up?

I have a handful of other mexican silver jewelry, but none of the makers marks are clear at all.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”