About a gold - agate paper knife

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cagriutlu

About a gold - agate paper knife

Post by cagriutlu »

Hello everybody,

I have a nice Russian gold mounted agate paper knife and I'm having some trouble identifying the maker of the item. Could you please help me about it? The hallmarks just on the outside the hilted coin on gold mounting written 1) 88 (I think Zolontik mark before Kokoshnik system shows the purity), 2) A makers mark can only be read via a hand microscope and written I P . The gold coin is I think gold 10 roubles of Katharina II from 1773.

Thanks a lot.

X
X
cagriutlu

Re: About a gold - agate paper knife

Post by cagriutlu »

Sorry that I've posted the topic to wrong place I think but unfortunately I don't know how to move it to "Gold Hallmarks" section. :s
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please provide a close-up of the marks.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The coin is not authentic, and not expected to be authentic, either. It is either a re strike or just made for decoration purposes in lower fineness.
The way it`s mounted into the ring is very suspicious: under higher magnification one can see gray color of soft lead/tin solder.That cannot be accepted - Russian silversmiths made items of outstanding quality, particularly an objet de vertu this one pretends to be.
The box itself is no proof, whatsoever (newly made in huge quantities).
Where are the marks? Can you take a close up picture of them, please ?
All said, I think it`s not authentic. Let`s wait what other members of the forum have to say, but marks are needed, anyway.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Marks appear to be on the ring fixing the ``coin``. Either taken from elsewhere or faked, probably the only piece of gold here.
Really looks like an item assembled to deceive, Russians call it ``constructor`` (конструктор).
More flaws where agate joins the mounting.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Inscription on the box.
Петергофская гранильная фабрика
Imperial Peterhof Lapidary Factory
Not very likely, sorry. But let`s wait for marks and other oppinions.
Regards
cagriutlu

Post by cagriutlu »

Thank you all for your comments. Bad news for me actually but knowing the truth is the best eventually. I'm posting the best picture about the marks I have.

X
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmmm, very difficult to read the marks. The only thing I can see looks like "88". That is not a Russian gold fineness but a silver fineness being 916, 67 promille. It could be gold plated silver. Could you possibly draw a picture of the other marks or try to explain what they look like?
Moreover, there is no impression mark of the knife in the silk on the inside of the lid. The silk looks brand new as well. I believe this knife originates from the tourist shop in Peterhof. Anyway, I share AG2012's opinion, a dubious case.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

AG2012 has already said everything essential to this "masterpiece". Be careful with these imaginative creations!

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There is ``88`` but that was .916 standard for silver.

Gold standards were 56, 72, 82, 92, 94 Zolotniks
(Convert to metric system dividing the number in zolotniks by 96, e.g. 56/96 = .583 = 14 K).
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Unbeliavable !
«Путинофон» (Putinphone) in 14K gold

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”