Need help in id'ing the crest

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
iindica

Need help in id'ing the crest

Post by iindica »

Hello,

I was referred to this forum for crest identification. Thank you for your help and time.
X

Regards,
AG2012
contributor

Re: Need help in id'ing the crest

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Engraved heraldic colors (tinctures) are depicted with lines in various directions and dots.
Lower left shield here is called ``azure or bend`` (blue, ``or`` - gold In French).
There was a famous dispute in late 14th century regarding this heraldic shield.
http://www.medievalists.net/2009/05/the ... 1385-1391/
More heraldic symbols and shields were added through marriages and acquired peerage.
Birds ``close`` are on gold, buckles and lion? on blue (azure).
Lion, as depicted here, is questionable, though. Cannot tell if ``lion passant`` at all, right fore paw is not raised.
That`s all I can tell, hopefully something to start with.
Regards
iindica

Post by iindica »

Thank you. I should have also mentioned that this is stamped along with other hallmarks that trace the item to 1763 London Assay Office (see pic below). Also, I think it's not a Lion but a dog.

agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Heraldry is not really my thing but I see that a talbot (heraldic hound) between 3 buckles on an azure ground has been associated with a family named Carter. This might be the origin of one half of your shield.
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

On the viewer's left is the husband VYNER. On the viewer's left is the wife CARTER. (The dog is called a talbot). Eleanor, the widow of Anderson and the daughter of Thomas Carter, of Bassavern, in Denbighshire, Esq. remarried on 5 May 1761, Robert Vyner, of Gautby, in Lincolnshire, Esq. Her son by her first marriage became the 1st Baron Yarborough. I think this is her coat of arms on one of her pieces of silver. Kind regards.
iindica

Post by iindica »

Thank you nobilityhouse and agphile. I am amazed to see the collective knowledge here. To be honest, I have been working on agphile's lead (Carter) and still couldn't figure it out (checked a few books on archive.org on heraldry). The complete attribution provided by nobilityhouse is simply awesome.

Regards,

Return to “Family Crests”