Russian Hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Pipedude

Russian Hallmarks

Post by Pipedude »

Hi all

I purchased this pipe recently for my collection and the hallmarks appear to be Russian from the information I have seen on this site, but I cannot see these marks on here as examples. I would like to know where and when this was made if anyone can help?

Thanks

Steve
Image Image
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian Hallmarks

Post by Qrt.S »

The marks are worn and difficult to read. Are those marks all there is? My best shot is that it is made in Polotzk in Russia 1842-1858. Today Polotzk is located in Belarus. Unfortunately the maker is unknown (to me). Maybe somebody else can identify him.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unfortunately this pipe does not look Russian;even with imitated Chinese pipe there is a problem.The joint betrays assembling the pipe, i.e. connecting Chinese carving taken from elsewhere and Russian silver piece (red arrow).
Another point: I suppose silver collar is not marked.
In short, the pipe does not look authentic.
Regards
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, Pipedude

Show the maker's mark, please. It to the right of 84 (it is hidden in a shadow).
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Cap ferrel (ferrule,collar, ring) should be marked, too. Search for marks there, please.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
here a small selection of Russian "Mundstück" how they look - there are many variations - but the typus is always the same. The shown piece is the combination of several worth - and senseless fragments of former pipes - one with Russian marks.
Regards
Goldstein
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Good Morning.

I'm sorry. But.
Did you confuse the concepts "made in Russia" vs " made "a la russe""? That there is in your representation "Russian": a matrjoshka, a balalaika, a bear at Red Square ......? ))
The Russian Empire - the great, multinational, multicultural State.

This Hallmarks speaks for us about the western Belarusian territories of the Russian Empire. During this period of History there were very few pure Russians (nationality on the birth) in towns there. Jews, Poles, Germans... 90 % of gold- and silversmiths were Jews. Very strong Polish-German traditions in jewelry.
Look, what pipes were in the German states and in Austria during this period.

I'm waiting for photo
Pipedude

Post by Pipedude »

Thanks for the responses to date. I agree that the connector has been repaired at the shank as pointed out in one of the posts. However, the hallmarks are also the same on the mounts to the bowl.

The pipe, I would say is more Germanic in style and I would not associate with Russia. That was why I was wondering whether the marks may have been import marks?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
As you know this is Kalmasch pipe in German. Regarding its authenticity there are pros and cons.
It`s not imported to Russia. Hallmarks are of town Polotsk, now Belarus. With multicultural population in the region one could expect Kalmasch pipes.
The same mark in two places is important. But the cap is not hinged, very unusual for Kalmasch pipes and the ring on the cap should bear the same marks.
On the other hand, there are fake marks, but faking a minor assay office, not well documented, does not make much sense.
So, the marks look genuine but the question remains whether silver mounts were taken from e.g. a broken Meerschaum pipe and fitted to dragon wood carving. That`s not very difficult to do. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure.
Regards
Pipedude

Post by Pipedude »

AG2012 wrote:Hello again,
As you know this is Kalmasch pipe in German. Regarding its authenticity there are pros and cons.
It`s not imported to Russia. Hallmarks are of town Polotsk, now Belarus. With multicultural population in the region one could expect Kalmasch pipes.
The same mark in two places is important. But the cap is not hinged, very unusual for Kalmasch pipes and the ring on the cap should bear the same marks.
On the other hand, there are fake marks, but faking a minor assay office, not well documented, does not make much sense.
So, the marks look genuine but the question remains whether silver mounts were taken from e.g. a broken Meerschaum pipe and fitted to dragon wood carving. That`s not very difficult to do. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure.
Regards
Many thanks for taking the time to revert with the above. It is a difficult one. I own over 1000 antique meerschaums and woods so have a number of style to compare this to. while it is clear to see there has been some repair work on the stem connector, the silver mounts on the bowl rim and cap fit perfectly to the pipe. The majority of meerschaums lap pipes with silver mounts tend to be circular and this is more of an oval shape which leans me towards these being genuine. It is like trying to match a pipe with an empty case, it is pretty difficult as even standard old briar pipes all vary slightly in shape, width etc. I guess it will remain unanswered, but still a great rare pipe, and displays lovely!

Thanks again for your advice

Steve
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Pipedude -
Pipedude wrote:Many thanks for taking the time to revert with the above. It is a difficult one. I own over 1000 antique meerschaums and woods so have a number of style to compare this to.
Only over 1000? All in this "quality"? Dragons are typical for Russia ....especially the rare Polotsk turquoise-eyed one...

Goldstein
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Thanks for foto.

Yes.
It's pipe from Mogilev or Vitebsk (now Belarus). I can't define without assayer name mark.
Maker's name begin since letter "Ш" ( cyrillics). Maybe "Шмуль", "Шлёма" (Shmul, Shlioma), derivative from Solomon. The second letter (family) i don't see, unfortunately.

Best regards.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Dragons are known to Russians; Tugarin Zmeyevich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_dragon

Cheers,
Peter
Pipedude

Post by Pipedude »

oel wrote:Dragons are known to Russians; Tugarin Zmeyevich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_dragon

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks for the info, cheers. Steve
Pipedude

Post by Pipedude »

Dad wrote:Thanks for foto.

Yes.
It's pipe from Mogilev or Vitebsk (now Belarus). I can't define without assayer name mark.
Maker's name begin since letter "Ш" ( cyrillics). Maybe "Шмуль", "Шлёма" (Shmul, Shlioma), derivative from Solomon. The second letter (family) i don't see, unfortunately.

Best regards.
Many thanks for your information. Steve

Return to “Russian Silver”