Joseph G. Jodah - Ontario - Canada

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Joseph G. Jodah - Ontario - Canada

Post by dognose »

Example of the work of Joseph G. Jodah of Toronto, Ontario.

Photos courtesy of Carey Hill

Fiddle pattern salt spoons, 3 3/4" (9.5cm) in length and weighing 12 grams each.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/canadiansilver_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Joseph G. Jodah - Ontario - Canada

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Dognose, another bus has finally come. I’ve actually been waiting for it for over 3 years. I recorded a photo of these unidentified spoon marks below from the inter net in May 2014.

I thought it likely to be Canadian Provincial but on first researching I turned up no maker for the spoon. Two nights ago I reviewed my “colonial photo file” and wondered if I had got any better at researching. I had. This time I quickly found “J.G.J” listed in 925-1000’s American makers as “Joseph G Jodah” of Toronto and thus to this post.
These marks are a bit different from your photos so could they be a little earlier? Could they belong to someone else? I note also in the forum topic http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 885#p79947 you indicate your silversmith was also known as “Jodah George Joseph. I did also find a reference to a “J.G.Joseph & Co” with an un-illustrated mark of “J.G.J & Co” in a rectangle. Surprisingly this silversmith’s active dates were given as circa 1850-1870 and was said to be working in Toronto. I also found 2 Canadian references describing items made by “J.G.Joseph & Co” including a coffeepot and a ceremonial mace but with proposed dates for manufacture of 1860 despite the 1857 death of “J. G. Joseph”.
Yours
Fishless
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Joseph G. Jodah - Ontario - Canada

Post by dognose »

Hi Fishless,

Many thanks for adding the extra information.

I guess, as with many of the larger concerns, the death of the founder would not affect the continuation of the business.

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”