Letter opener with coin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sebastian4743

Letter opener with coin

Post by sebastian4743 »

I would like to identify the maker of this letter opener. The focus point of it is a French coin but no minerva marks on it so not sure if this opener was manufactured in France. What do you think?

oel
co-admin

Re: Letter opener with coin

Post by oel »

Hi Sebastian,
The fineness mark in 0.900 and my thoughts should first go to Belgium but I am not sure. Perhaps made in former French Africa. The 5 francs coin 1875 (.900) has been well used.
Will be able to check my books about Belgian silversmith's early next week.

Peter
sebastian4743

Post by sebastian4743 »

Thanks Peter. The maker mark consists in my opinion from a vase and letters, sth like DUVOISIN. Not sure though.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

sebastian4743 wrote:Thanks Peter. The maker mark consists in my opinion from a vase and letters, sth like DUVOISIN. Not sure though.

RICHARD DUVOISIN
JEWELLERY
Place du Temple 4
CH-1227 Carouge
Geneve

The first store opened at the Rue de la Cité in the late 1940s. It was then moved to the Passage du Terraillet. After more than 50 years of activity at this address, Richard Duvoisin takes over the family business at the end of the lease in 2005. After 9 years at Boulevard St. Georges, the jeweler opened its doors on September 30, 2014, for the biggest the pleasure of its loyal clientele, at the Place du Temple, in Carouge.

Jean Duvoisin (1904 - 1991) (Also known from vases – see Makers Mark for Vases.

famous goldsmith-carver from Geneva, he created the inimitable style Duvoisin, whose memory continues today. He is responsible for the creation of the famous so-called weekly bracelets, still relevant.

Paul Duvoisin (1930-2015)
studied at the Beaux-Arts in Geneva, before perfecting his art in London. Returning to Geneva in 1965, he continued the tradition while bringing his personal touch. He worked for jewelery until the end of his life. He left us on September 14, 2015 at the age of 84 years.

Richard Duvoisin (1961)
formed by his father and grandfather since his teenage years, Jean Duvoisin has transmitted to him his know-how for carving and crimping. Richard has given, by his definite taste and sense for the times, a renaissance in the range of jewels while maintaining the tradition that made Duvoisin famous.

Dendriet
sebastian4743

Post by sebastian4743 »

Thank you Dendriet! Very helpful!

Return to “French Silver”