Silver pot, maybee early Russian?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Denis_S

Silver pot, maybee early Russian?

Post by Denis_S »

Hello dear friends, can you help me identification this silver pot?

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver pot, maybee early Russian?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Not consistent with Russian marks of any period, as far as I can tell.
Possibly not Cyrillic but Greek letters Gamma and Pi.
Teapot is too well made for any Balkan country using Cyrillic alphabet, but Greece or Cyprus are possible provenance.
Regards
Denis_S

Post by Denis_S »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Not consistent with Russian marks of any period, as far as I can tell.
Possibly not Cyrillic but Greek letters Gamma and Pi.
Teapot is too well made for any Balkan country using Cyrillic alphabet, but Greece or Cyprus are possible provenance.
Regards
Dear AG2012, thank you for your help.
Maybe somebody look this mark before on another items?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Could this not be Kostroma in Russia? Here is what the description says: "A sailing ship or galleria was used in the latter 19th century. The sailing ship was also used in an arhed top cartouche from 1769-1813."

If this hallmark is not a sailing ship in an arched top cartouche, I really wouldn't know how else to describe it?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I thought it couldn't be Russian (Kostroma) because I didn't see any "Assay Master Marks," but if you look really closely under the ship, do you see letters there which could correspond to an "Assay Master Mark?" ::: The other ship hallmark is too faded, but I believe I see letters underneath the more defined ship hallmark?

I can't find a single example of this hallmark, so I have nothing with which to compare these hallmarks :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I still can't find a picture of a "Galleria" (sailing ship), but I might have finally found one in this antique Russian Print from the 19th century ::: It looks like there is a horizontal part on the mast of the ship which allows you to go from a fully-extended sail to a half-extended sail, and the picture in the print is a ship at half-extended sail, but the hallmark on the teapot seems to be a ship at fully-extended sail ::: (does that make sense?)

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It`s very uncommon (if ever seen) to have such set of marks on Russian silver (maker`s mark and town mark struck twice).
On the other hand,Cyrillic or Greek letters limit the provenance to several countries, all of them being completely undocumented in regard of silver.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Just out of sheer curiosity I would love to see the Kostroma Ship symbol with an arched top, if anyone knows about this hallmark, or have pics of this hallmark, or knows of a book with this hallmark in it, I would be interested ::: Recently a tankard was posted and it turned out to be from Estonia, and there was double-stamping of makers marks, but I understand that if this has never been seen on Russian silver then we must search elsewhere, perhaps the areas surrounding the Russian empire :::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

КОСТРОМА

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Have you ever seen "the sailing ship with an arched top cartouche" which (according to the Russian Hallmarks section) was used from 1769 until 1813?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

This is the earliest I have:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:: Good to compare to other ship hallmarks, I don't see an exact match :: Thanks for the image posting, it helps to clarify the verbal description ::

Return to “Other Countries”