Has anyone ever seen these hallmarks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
will-1

Has anyone ever seen these hallmarks?

Post by will-1 »

Hi there,

Trying to identify the marks on this large pouring ladle. There is no obvious silver-wear in the normal resting places, so I don't know whether it's plated or some sort of silver. I'm hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

silverfan
contributor

Re: Has anyone ever seen these hallmarks?

Post by silverfan »

I did not find a maker M & C in my books for silver after 1884 in Germany. With much phantasy the figure could be the arms of Munich the "Münchner Kindl", but I found nothing in Munich. The number 60 I suppose to be the thickness of plating.
MfG silverfan
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is the mark of C. A. Muenchmeyer und Co from Vienna, with branches in Berlin and Budapest. The figure is that of a monk and refers to the similiarity of the German word "Moench" for monk with the beginning of Muenchmeyer's name. German Wikipedia has an article on the company. Regards, Bahner
will-1

Post by will-1 »

Thankyou to both silverfan and Bahner for your help with this. Would we think 60 would mean the silver plate was 60 microns thick? That seams quite thick, but as I said earlier, there are no wear signs in the usual areas (under the bowl specifically).
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Willzi,

An explanation of the silver plate numbering system can be found here:

https://www.925-1000.com/a_platenumbers.html

Cheers,
Steve
will-1

Post by will-1 »

Thank you very much for the information.

Will
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Well now I'm confused. Since this isn't a group of flatware, are we saying 60 grams went into this one ladle or a whole group....that sure looks like a pretty good plate job in the photo.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Somehow it is 60 grams of silver used during the plating process, I have seen 90 on many pieces, and they are very shiny and often mistaken for sterling silver or "900" coin silver, so be careful out there ::

Once you run electrical current through the solution the silver piece is immersed in, I assume that virtually all of the silver ions immediately become bonded to the surface of the spoon (or ladle or fork or whatever you are plating), so it doesn't matter what volume of liquid you use and it doesn't matter how large the tub is either ::

I think 90 is of higher quality than 60 ::

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”