Puzzling mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Puzzling mark

Post by amena »

Hi all
I have this ladle, for punch , I suppose, which has just one mark.
The shape of the mark might suggest a French silversmith, but the guarantee mark is missing, and this makes me think that it's not French .
I suppose it is Italian from that time when no official mark was compulsory.
I found a mark just similar but not identical on the books, and so I have a little doubt left.
Has anyone ever seen this mark?

Thanks in advance
Aguest
contributor

Re: Puzzling mark

Post by Aguest »

I would first have thought Belgium during that long period of time where marks were not compulsory and some Belgian silversmiths used diamond-shaped cartouches as makers' marks (See "Belgian Silver, Art Deco Period" for an article which demonstrates one example of this) ::: However, if you found an almost identical Italian Maker's Mark, that would seem to be a better fit :: Is it a "G" and a "P" with a sword in-between? :::: Or perhaps the symbol is not a sword but another object? :::::
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Aguest
Your hypothesis is very interesting, I had not thought about a Belgian silver.
The mark of the Italian silversmith who looks like, is belonging to Giovanni Piuma, about half of the 19th century and is described as "una piuma" "a feather".

The shape of the ladle is not usual with the flared bowl and the handle that ends with a hook. Perhaps someone else has some further hypothesis.......
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi amena -

this kind of punch ladles were used in different countries - here an example from Russia (Vodka of course!) and how it was used:

Regards
Goldstein
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Golstein
It could be what you suggest, but in this case it is more likely to be foreign.
Your picture, for some reason, has suggested me another possibility: is it a baptismal ladle?
Below are some examples of baptismal ladles from northern Italy compared to mine

Best regrds
Amena

Return to “Other Countries”