Tiffany & Co.(?) Hallmarked "V in a C" Mexican

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ryaan2000

Tiffany & Co.(?) Hallmarked "V in a C" Mexican

Post by Ryaan2000 »

I purchased this large brooch from a friend of mine who sells jewelry. I think that it's just stunning and that I may not see anything of this quality again. I believe that this brooch is Tiffany & Co, although I've posted it here because it has Mexican hallmarks, which are more intriguing.
It's hallmarked "TIFFANY MEXICO 0.925 MM-112" and "V inside a C". This mark is puzzling to me. I own Bille Hougart's book and there is a reference to this mark under VC in the index. It references to page 200, which has Janna Thomas de Velarde. Interestingly enough this artist produced things for Tiffany, but the page has no mention of this hallmark (which is odd, since I was referenced there by the index in the first place). It could still be her, but I find it strange that this mark isn't mentioned. Another odd coincidence is that Tiffany & Co are on the next page. Perhaps this is a typo in the book (Hougart meant 201)? This must be a maker of some quality if it is Tiffany & Co. Does anybody have an idea of who uses this hallmark? I vaguely remember seeing it in Hougart's book, but like I said I was unable to find it.

Also, is this piece actually Tiffany & Co.? I really think it is because it has a good weight to it and the piece just reeks of quality. It's just that most of the Mexican made Tiffany pieces I've seen say "Tiffany & Co." instead of "TIFFANY" like mine.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The book wasn't saying it was on page 200, it says "eagle 1, 200" which means the artisan used both eagle 1 and eagle 200.
Ryaan2000

Post by Ryaan2000 »

ValkyrieVixen wrote:The book wasn't saying it was on page 200, it says "eagle 1, 200" which means the artisan used both eagle 1 and eagle 200.
Oh, gosh. No wonder I wasn't able to find it.

Well, this is still a mystery mark for me, anyway.
Ryaan2000

Re: Tiffany & Co.(?) Hallmarked "V in a C" Mexican

Post by Ryaan2000 »

I wanted to give this thread an update for further reference. I recently discovered that the "V in a C" mark on this brooch is that of Mexican designer Victor Carranza. Carranza started producing jewelry for Tiffany in 1986. I'm not sure if he is still doing so, but I believe his early work for Tiffany was jewelry and articles with bows, which is a similar motif found in my brooch. So yes, let me say that this is a legitimate piece of Tiffany. It was made in Carranza's workshop in Mexico City and for Tiffany & Co.

(For some reason the images aren't working in my first post any more. I'm not sure how to edit it but I never removed them from my Photobucket account)

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Tiffany & Co.(?) Hallmarked "V in a C" Mexican

Post by dognose »

Hi Ryaan2000,

Thanks for updating this topic with the extra information.

Your original images can still be seen this end, perhaps there was a blip at Photobucket's end when you checked last time.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”