Unable to decipher marks or purpose

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
davidn

Unable to decipher marks or purpose

Post by davidn »

Hello and thank you for your site information and support. Tremendous value as a source. I have been frustrated trying to find out about this mark, with this piece.
https://postimg.cc/WDwzCGtj
and
https://postimg.cc/946bgj4s

This is a small piece of 2 birds nestled together, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. I suspect it was part of a tableware setting? Any assist would help . Thank you all
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unable to decipher marks or purpose

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's a piece by F.Lli Magrino Argentieri In Firenze and retailed by Birks.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27003&p=126233&hilit=871#p126233

What you have is a resin base covered with a layer of silver. To identify such pieces and so that they are not to be confused with solid silver items, as they do contain a full set of Italian marks, the Italian government required some extra marks to be struck. These extra marks are a 'R' within a square, this stands for 'Riempito' (filled), and also a set of figures that indicate the amount of silver applied, in grams (1÷2 g, 2÷3 g, 3÷5g, etc.). These are not exact weights, but must fit into range stated by each mark, in this case, between 3 and 5 grams are applied.

In future posts please embed your images.

Trev.
davidn

Post by davidn »

Thank you very much for the prompt response and information. I suspected the resin issue, but it was listed as Silver, not plate. My bad luck. I attempted to embed, but it did not work, but will do so in the future.
Your response was much more than I expected, and saved me added hours of work. Thank you again!
Dave
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It`s not plate, there is full thickness of sterling sheet over resin.
Unless very light, it could be a paperweight.
Regards

Return to “Mystery Objects”